Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite matrices.

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    If I had an infinite matrix [itex] \aleph_0 \times \aleph_0 [/itex] could I find the eigenvalues or the Determinant of this matrix. I think some of these matrices would have a finite Determinant or it could be zero. Because i could add 1/2+1/4+1/8..... but I would just need a matrix with the right entries. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how you would go about figuring it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey cragar.

The topic that deals with this kind of thing is the Hilbert-Space theory that deals with operator algebras in infinite-dimensional spaces.

If you want to look into this look into things like Hilbert-Space Theory, Banach Spaces, and operator algebras like C* algebras as well as functional analysis in the infinite-dimensional spaces.

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that you will need to have some kind of "regularity conditions" on the "infinite matrices" in order that the infinite sums involved will converge.

5. Aug 9, 2012 #4
    Can you recommend any sources related to these topics? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook