Infinite matrices.

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
If I had an infinite matrix [itex] \aleph_0 \times \aleph_0 [/itex] could I find the eigenvalues or the Determinant of this matrix. I think some of these matrices would have a finite Determinant or it could be zero. Because i could add 1/2+1/4+1/8..... but I would just need a matrix with the right entries. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how you would go about figuring it out.

Answers and Replies

chiro
Science Advisor
Hey cragar.

The topic that deals with this kind of thing is the Hilbert-Space theory that deals with operator algebras in infinite-dimensional spaces.

If you want to look into this look into things like Hilbert-Space Theory, Banach Spaces, and operator algebras like C* algebras as well as functional analysis in the infinite-dimensional spaces.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Note that you will need to have some kind of "regularity conditions" on the "infinite matrices" in order that the infinite sums involved will converge.

Hey cragar.

The topic that deals with this kind of thing is the Hilbert-Space theory that deals with operator algebras in infinite-dimensional spaces.

If you want to look into this look into things like Hilbert-Space Theory, Banach Spaces, and operator algebras like C* algebras as well as functional analysis in the infinite-dimensional spaces.
Can you recommend any sources related to these topics? Thanks.