Exploring the Possibilities of an Infinite Matrix

In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of infinity and the proposed Infinite Matrix (IM) as a model for existence beyond the Standard Model. The potential usefulness of this concept for a computer model of possible existences was also discussed. It was mentioned that this concept is similar to a lattice, which is used in calculations but only gives approximations. The idea of an infinite matrix was also compared to the functional form of quantum field theory, where every point in space is a degree of freedom. The conversation also touched on the history of quantum mechanics and its relation to matrices.
shunyadragon
I thought I started a thread on this topic, but than I could not find it when I looked later, so here goes again. I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I have been fascinated with the concept of infinity since I was in elementary school and my questions frustrated my teachers.

I would like to present the philosophical concept for existence beyond the Standard Model of an Infinite Matrix (IM) for comments and feedback. The IM is unquantisized infinite and eternal matrix that everything physical exists, ie matter energy, singularities, or whatever. The IM may have more dimensions, but for simplicity I will propose a four dimensional IM. Would this concept be useful for a computer model of possible existences.

Has anyone else presented this concept in one way or another?

Physics news on Phys.org
shunyadragon said:
I thought I started a thread on this topic, but than I could not find it when I looked later, so here goes again. I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I have been fascinated with the concept of infinity since I was in elementary school and my questions frustrated my teachers.

I would like to present the philosophical concept for existence beyond the Standard Model of an Infinite Matrix (IM) for comments and feedback. The IM is unquantisized infinite and eternal matrix that everything physical exists, ie matter energy, singularities, or whatever. The IM may have more dimensions, but for simplicity I will propose a four dimensional IM. Would this concept be useful for a computer model of possible existences.

Has anyone else presented this concept in one way or another?

Sounds like a lattice to me. People to lattice simulations of QCD on computers. Obviously to do calculations you use a finite lattice but these calculations just give you approximations. Once you take the limit that the lattice is infinite by both making the lattice spacing to zero and taking the size of the lattice to infinity then the answer should approach the physical one.

More generally in quantum field theory every point is space is a degree of freedom. In the functional form of QFT you generalise the idea of a finite matrix to a kind of infinite matrix where the sum that appears in a normal matrix multiplication becomes an integral over all of space and time. But in continuum formalisms of QFT one uses differential operators instead of matrices.

Also the Heisenberg first formulated quantum mechanics as "matrix mechanics". He didn't even know about matrices when he first did the work.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the possibility of an Infinite Matrix. I find the concept of infinity to be incredibly intriguing as well and it's exciting to explore the idea of an unquantized and eternal matrix that encompasses everything physical.

In terms of its usefulness for a computer model of possible existences, I believe the possibilities are endless. The concept of an Infinite Matrix could potentially provide a framework for understanding and simulating various physical phenomena, from the smallest subatomic particles to the vastness of the universe.

I am not familiar with anyone else presenting this exact concept, but I have come across similar ideas in the field of theoretical physics and cosmology. It would be interesting to see how this concept could be further developed and incorporated into existing theories.

Overall, I think this is a thought-provoking and intriguing concept to explore and I look forward to seeing how it evolves and potentially contributes to our understanding of the universe. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I look forward to hearing more about your ideas on this topic.

1. What is an infinite matrix?

An infinite matrix is a mathematical concept that represents a collection of numbers or symbols arranged in an infinite number of rows and columns. It is a theoretical construct that allows for an infinite number of elements to be stored and manipulated.

2. How is an infinite matrix different from a regular matrix?

An infinite matrix differs from a regular matrix in that it has an infinite number of rows and columns, while a regular matrix has a finite number. This means that an infinite matrix can store and manipulate an infinite amount of data, while a regular matrix has limitations.

3. What are the potential applications of an infinite matrix?

An infinite matrix has many potential applications, particularly in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and physics. It can be used for data storage, solving complex equations, and representing infinite systems such as fractals and infinite-dimensional spaces.

4. How can we explore the possibilities of an infinite matrix?

We can explore the possibilities of an infinite matrix through mathematical analysis, computer simulations, and experimentation. By studying the properties and behaviors of infinite matrices, we can gain a deeper understanding of their potential applications and limitations.

5. Are there any challenges in working with an infinite matrix?

Working with an infinite matrix can present challenges, such as the need for specialized mathematical techniques and computer algorithms. Additionally, the concept of infinity can be difficult to grasp and may lead to unexpected results. However, with proper tools and understanding, these challenges can be overcome.