Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite potential well

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    I've been told about the infinite potential well using quantum-mechanics, with mathematical proof. Is there any websites I can look at to understand this theory with less math, but instead, with a theoratical approach? Would classical-physics be able to describe this result?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The concept of an infinite potential is taken to simply mean an impenetrable boundary.

4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    How come for some points in the 'well', the probability of finding a partical is zero?

5. Feb 29, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

For which points in the well is the probability of finding the particle zero? Are you referring to the points corresponding to the walls of the well?

6. Feb 29, 2008 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A particle in an infinitely deep potential well is a very simple concept (well, mathematically simple...) and is a simplification of many actual things- laser cavities (or any resonant cavity), for example.

What I suspect you are asking about is that your example shows a standing wave- you have a square-bottomed well?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?