1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite potential well

1. May 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

344eeip.png

Part (a): Find wavefunction and energy levels.
    Part (b): Find a possible wavefunction. Is this wavefunction unique?
    Part (c): What is the probability of finding it in the ground state?
    Part (d): What's the probability of finding it in the second excited state?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)
    I have found the wavefunction and energy levels:

[tex]\phi = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin\left(\frac{n_x \pi x}{a}\right)sin\left(\frac{n_y \pi y}{a}\right)[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{\hbar^2}{8ma^2}(n_x^2 + n_y^2)[/tex]

If a = b, there is degeneracy in the first excited state: |nx,ny> |1,0> and |0,1> give the same energy.

Part (b)
    [tex]E = E_0 + \frac{(E_1-E_0)}{4} = \frac{3}{4}E_0 + \frac{1}{4}E_1[/tex]

I'm guessing the wavefunction will be a linear combination of ground and first excited state:

[tex] |\psi \rangle = \frac{3}{4}|\psi_0\rangle + \frac{1}{4}|\psi_1\rangle[/tex]
    [tex] |\psi \rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\left[\frac{3}{4} sin(\frac{\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y}{a}) +\frac{1}{4}sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{2\pi y}{a})\right][/tex]

But the thing is, this wavefunction isn't normalized, as ##(\frac{1}{4})^2 + (\frac{3}{4})^2 = \frac{10}{16}##.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2014 #2
    i think that [tex]|\psi \rangle = \frac{3}{4}|\psi_0\rangle + \frac{1}{4}|\psi_1\rangle [/tex] its wrong

the correct could be [tex]|\psi \rangle = (\frac{3}{4})^{1/2}|\psi_0\rangle + (\frac{1}{4})^{1/2}|\psi_1\rangle [/tex]

4. May 3, 2014 #3
    The expression for ##E## seems to be wrong, or is it just me? Is that ##8## in denominator just a typo or... ? You should check that, because I also think ##\pi ## is missing.

Also note that if ##n=0## there is nothing happening. The probability to find a particle is ##|\psi |^2=\frac{2}{a}sin^2(\frac{n\pi }{a}x)=0## if ##n=0## also the energy of state with ##n=0## is zero. Therefore state with ##n=0## does NOT exist. Ground state is ##n=1##.

5. May 4, 2014 #4
    That's right, because ##E = \langle \psi| H | \psi \rangle##.

But it's not unique, right? Because the state can be exapanded as a series of eigenkets: ##|\psi\rangle = \sum_n a_n |E_n\rangle##.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  6. May 4, 2014 #5
    Sorry it should be ##h## instead of ##\hbar##. The correct energy is ##E = \frac{h}{8ma^2}##

Yea that's right. I think they usually use ##E_0## to denote ground state but the '0' really means n=1 state.

Is the probability ## \frac{3}{4} ## then?

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  7. May 4, 2014 #6
    Also note that the reason the state is not unique is that there is an arbitrary phase ø between the states |ψ> = a|ψ1> + e b|ψ2>.

8. May 4, 2014 #7
    Close enough. It's actually ##E_n=\frac{\hbar ^2\pi ^2n^2}{2ma^2}=\frac{h^2n^2}{8ma^2}##

Yes, to find/measure the particle with ##E_0## (particle in ground state) the probability is ##\frac{3}{4}##.

9. May 4, 2014 #8
    Yeah you're right. I keep missing stuff out..

Just that for 4 marks? It seems too easy to be true!

And for part (c), the probability for finding the particle in second excited state is....##\frac{1}{4}##? And again that for 3 marks?!

10. May 4, 2014 #9
    Well the problem says that ##E=\frac{3}{4}E_0+\frac{1}{4}E_1## and coefficient before ##E_n## is the probability to find particle in state ##n##.

The problem alsto states that the probability to find a particle in any state with ##n\geq 2## is basically equal to zero. It is trivial to check that, because ##3/4 +1/4 = 1##.

11. May 4, 2014 #10
    There might be a small probability the state might not be E0 or E1 as long as the probability is small enough that a 1000 particle sample might just have missed it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted