1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Potential Well

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    Sorry for all the questions - I tend to save them till I'm done with assignments:

Here's the question:
    Consider a particle of mass 'm' in a one-dimensional infinite potential well of width 'a'
    [tex]
    V (x) = \left\{\begin{array}{c} 0 \ \ \ if \ \ \ 0 \leq x \leq a \\ \infty \ \ \ otherwise
    [/tex]
    The particle is subject to a perturbation of the form:
    [tex]
    \omega (x) = a \omega_0 \delta \left(x - \frac{a}{2} \right)
    [/tex]
    Where 'a' is a real constant with dimension of energy. Calculate the changes in the energy level of the particle in the first order of [itex] \omega_0 [/itex]

I just need some help starting off at this point. Can anyone suggest how to begin?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does first-order pertubation theory say?

4. Jul 13, 2005 #3
    Okay, I think I've got it. Does this look correct?
    ANS:
    I'm looking for first-order correction to the nth eigenvalue - so I need to solve this:
    [tex]
    E_n^1 = \left< \psi_n^0 | H' | \psi_n^0 \right>
    [/tex]
    Where
    [tex]
    \psi_n^0 (x) = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{a} } sin \left( \frac{n \pi x}{a} \right)
    [/tex]
    and
    [tex]
    H' = a \omega_0 \ \delta \left( x - \frac{a}{2} \right)
    [/tex]
    Substituting and solving gives:
    [tex]
    E_n^1 = \left< \psi_n^0 | H' | \psi_n^0 \right> = 2 \omega_0 \int_0^a sin^2 \left( \frac{n \pi x}{a} \right) \delta \left( x - \frac{a}{2} \right) dx
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = 2 \omega_0 sin^2 \left( \frac{n \pi}{2} \right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \left\{\begin{array}{c} 2 \omega_0 \ \ \ if \ \ \ n = "odd" \\ 0 \ \ \ if \ \ \ n = "even"
    [/tex]
    Do I "choose" only non-zero answers then, or is the array the complete answer? Thanks.

5. Jul 13, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks right ! And no, you don't throw away the zero-terms. In fact, you should be asking yourself if it makes sense for the perturbation to have no effect on half the spectrum (the eigenvalues for even n).

6. Jul 13, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Found this java applet from ZapperZ's link :

http://www.quantum-physics.polytechnique.fr/en/pages/p0204.html

It shows you the solutions to the SE for a double well. You can play with the potentials to essentially mimic your problem. Make a (infinitesimally) thin, high wall in the middle, and see what happens when you just barely increase its width : only the odd eigenvalues move, as predicted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?