Infinite Potential Colliding with Wave Function: Is it Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential and wave function of a particle colliding with a potential of V = ∞, x < 0 in region (I), -V0, 0<x<a in region (II), and 0, x≥a in region (III). It is confirmed that the wave function for region (I) is 0, and region (II) has a wave function of A sin(kx) with a constant k. The conversation concludes with a request for confirmation on the correctness of this information.
rmfw
Potential and wave function

If a particle comes from +infinite and collides with a potential of the form :

V = ∞ , x < 0 (I)
-V0 , 0<x<a (II)
0 , x≥a (III)

Is the wave function for region (I) = 0? And for region (II) = A sin(kx) with k constant?

Really need to know if I'm correct, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rmfw said:
If a particle comes from +infinite and collides with a potential of the form :

V = ∞ , x < 0 (I)
-V0 , 0<x<a (II)
0 , x≥a (III)

Is the wave function for region (I) = 0? And for region (II) = A sin(kx) with k constant?

Really need to know if I'm correct, thanks

Yes region (I) has a 0 wave function. Region (II) requires a solution to the Schr. equation, but it should be similar to that.

1. What is the theory of infinite potential colliding with wave function?

The theory of infinite potential colliding with wave function is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It suggests that particles have the potential to exist in multiple states simultaneously until they are observed or measured, at which point they collapse into a single state. This theory is also known as the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.

2. How does this theory explain the behavior of particles in experiments?

This theory explains the behavior of particles in experiments by suggesting that particles can exist in multiple states, or have infinite potential, until they are observed. This is known as the wave function, which describes the probability of a particle being in a certain state. When a measurement is made, the wave function collapses and the particle is observed in a single state.

3. Is the theory of infinite potential and wave function widely accepted by the scientific community?

Yes, the theory of infinite potential and wave function is widely accepted by the scientific community and is considered to be one of the most successful and accurate theories in physics. It has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and is used to make predictions about the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. Are there any other interpretations of quantum mechanics besides the Copenhagen interpretation?

Yes, there are multiple interpretations of quantum mechanics, including the many-worlds interpretation, the pilot-wave theory, and the objective collapse theory. These interpretations offer different explanations for the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and are still debated among scientists.

5. How does the theory of infinite potential and wave function relate to the concept of superposition?

The theory of infinite potential and wave function is closely related to the concept of superposition, which is the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. In this theory, particles have infinite potential to exist in all possible states until they are observed, at which point they collapse into a single state. This phenomenon is known as superposition and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.