What does the `|' represent in an infinite product notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the bar symbol "|" in mathematical notation, specifically in the context of an infinite product used in a QFT course. It is clarified that the bar represents "such that" or "where", and in this case, it denotes that k is a constant multiple of n. This notation is further explained and referenced to a specific page in a textbook.
blankvin
Hi,
In my QFT course, the professor writes an infinite product like this:

n | k n0 > 0 ∫...

My question is, what does the `|' in the subscript "n | k" representing? When I see `|', I think logical OR - obviously that is not it. Normally, if it's a sum over two indices, commas separate the indices - not sure if `|' in place of a comma is standard notation or not.

Any ideas?Thanks,
blankvin.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a constitution of a ket

In math when you write ## n|k ## it means that exist ## c ## such that ## k=c\cdot n ##, in other words is the product over all divisors of ##k## ..., I don't know otherwise ...

Likes blankvin
Thinking back to my complex analysis course, I think the bar `|' represents "such that", or "where". So,

n | kn0>0

can be read as "an infinite product over n, where kn0 is greater than zero". This also became a little more clear once I picked up Peskin and Schroeder, and looked at Ch9.2.

Ssnow said:
In math when you write ## n|k ## it means that exist ## c ## such that ## k=c\cdot n ##, in other words is the product over all divisors of ##k## ..., I don't know otherwise ...

Yes, that's it. See P&S, p.285-286: k is defined as a constant times n. This makes sense.Thanks,
blankvin.

Likes Ssnow

1. What is infinite product notation?

Infinite product notation is a mathematical notation used to represent an infinite product, which is the result of multiplying an infinite number of terms together. It is similar to infinite summation, but instead of adding terms, it multiplies them.

2. How is infinite product notation written?

Infinite product notation is typically written using the capital Greek letter "Π" (pi) followed by the terms being multiplied. For example, Πn=1∞ n would represent the product of all natural numbers from 1 to infinity.

3. What is the purpose of infinite product notation?

Infinite product notation is useful in representing and solving various mathematical problems involving infinite multiplication, such as finding the value of an infinite geometric series or determining the convergence of a series.

4. How is infinite product notation evaluated?

Infinite product notation is evaluated by taking the limit of the product as the number of terms approaches infinity. This means that the product is calculated with an increasing number of terms until it reaches the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are some examples of infinite product notation?

Some examples of infinite product notation include the Euler product formula for the Riemann zeta function, Πp primes 1 (1−1/p) = 1/ζ(s), and the Wallis product formula for π, Πn=1∞ (4n^2)/(4n^2−1) = π/2.