1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite resistors circuit

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the equivalent resistance of the resistor chain shown in the figure between the points a) A and B; b) A and C the resistor chain is infinite in both directions and each resistor has a resistance of R.
    41137ec21c802ca3495bb5597.gif

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved the b) part. It is the part a) which I face trouble with. How do I approach this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the equivalent resistance of both the chain to the left from A and the one to the right from B. Replace the chains with their equivalent resistances in the figure.

ehild

4. Mar 5, 2014 #3
    I would add point D just below B and consider the sub-chains to the left of AC and to the right of BD (with the resistor between A and C or B and C). These sub-chains should have equal resistances. Then the entire ABDC loop can be represented as four resistors.

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4
    By the way, if you solved part (b) in some other way, you can obtain the equivalent resistance of each sub-chain from that result, and then solve part (a).

6. Mar 5, 2014 #5
    Thanks ehild and voko! That did the trick. :)

I solved the part b) with the same method but couldn't observe that you could do the same with a). :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted