1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite sequence

1. Jul 29, 2006 #1
    I want to find the smallest value of N (n > N) such that the following is true:

abs((2n)^(1/n) - 1) < 0.01

So basically, I'm looking for the term of the sequence (2n)^(1/n) which is less than 0.01 from the limit of the sequence... by trial and error, I found it to be 734.

But I'm looking ofr a theoretical solution. Any help as to what I'm missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you want 0.99< (2n)n< 1.01. That's basically looking for
    (2n)n= 1.01 Since that involves n both in the base and the exponent, you won't be able to find any solution in terms of elementary functions. You might be able to use "Lambert's W function":
  4. Jul 30, 2006 #3
    aceetobee, are you trying to prove that [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (2n)^{\frac{1}{n}} = 1[/itex]? If so, then trying to find the smallest N for each epsilon is not necessary. If you actually do need to find the smallest N then disregard this post.

When proving limits of sequences, we don't care about the smallest possible value of N for a particular epsilon, all we care is that an N exists having the property that n>N implies (insert the rest of the limit definition here). Note if we do have an N that works, we could just as well replace it with any larger number.

To prove this limit, I would use the fact that
    [tex] (2n)^{\frac{1}{n}} = (2^{\frac{1}{n}})(n^{\frac{1}{n}})[/tex]
    and use the product theorem for limits.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?