Finding Smallest Value of N in Infinite Sequence to Satisfy Condition

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the smallest value of N for a given condition involving a sequence. The theoretical solution involves using Lambert's W function and proving the limit of the sequence using the product theorem for limits. The smallest N is not necessary in proving the limit, as long as an N exists that satisfies the given condition.
aceetobee
I want to find the smallest value of N (n > N) such that the following is true:

abs((2n)^(1/n) - 1) < 0.01

So basically, I'm looking for the term of the sequence (2n)^(1/n) which is less than 0.01 from the limit of the sequence... by trial and error, I found it to be 734.

But I'm looking ofr a theoretical solution. Any help as to what I'm missing here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want 0.99< (2n)n< 1.01. That's basically looking for
(2n)n= 1.01 Since that involves n both in the base and the exponent, you won't be able to find any solution in terms of elementary functions. You might be able to use "Lambert's W function":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert's_W_function

aceetobee, are you trying to prove that [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (2n)^{\frac{1}{n}} = 1[/itex]? If so, then trying to find the smallest N for each epsilon is not necessary. If you actually do need to find the smallest N then disregard this post.

When proving limits of sequences, we don't care about the smallest possible value of N for a particular epsilon, all we care is that an N exists having the property that n>N implies (insert the rest of the limit definition here). Note if we do have an N that works, we could just as well replace it with any larger number.

To prove this limit, I would use the fact that
[tex] (2n)^{\frac{1}{n}} = (2^{\frac{1}{n}})(n^{\frac{1}{n}})[/tex]
and use the product theorem for limits.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of finding the smallest value of N in an infinite sequence?

The concept of finding the smallest value of N in an infinite sequence is a mathematical problem that involves determining the minimum value of a variable N in an infinite sequence that satisfies a specific condition or equation.

2. What is the importance of finding the smallest value of N in an infinite sequence?

Finding the smallest value of N in an infinite sequence is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It can help in solving various mathematical problems, such as finding the limit of a sequence, determining the convergence of a series, and solving optimization problems.

3. What are some common methods for finding the smallest value of N in an infinite sequence?

Some common methods for finding the smallest value of N in an infinite sequence include using algebraic manipulation, using calculus techniques such as differentiation and integration, and using numerical methods such as the bisection method or the Newton-Raphson method.

4. How do you know if the smallest value of N in an infinite sequence is unique?

The smallest value of N in an infinite sequence may be unique if the sequence is strictly increasing or decreasing and the condition or equation has a unique solution. However, in some cases, the smallest value of N may not be unique, and there may be multiple values that satisfy the condition or equation.

5. Can the smallest value of N in an infinite sequence be negative?

Yes, the smallest value of N in an infinite sequence can be negative. This depends on the specific condition or equation being satisfied by the sequence and the range of values that N can take. It is possible for the smallest value of N to be positive, negative, or zero.