1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series convergence

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{x=1} \frac{cos(14.1347 \ln (x))}{x^{a}} = 0[/tex]

Is there a way to solve for a? I dont think so but maybe someone here will have an insight as to what to do..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2009 #2
    This equation is

[tex](1/2)\Re \zeta(a-ui) = 0 [/tex]

for [tex]u = 14.1347[/tex], where [tex]\Re[/tex] signifies the real part, and [tex]\zeta[/tex] is the Riemann zeta function.

The attached picture shows the graph (I did it without the factor 1/2). The .mw file is the Maple code that generated this picture.

So [tex]a=1/2[/tex] looks like the solution. If we replace [tex]u=14.1347[/tex] by the nearby zero of the zeta function [tex]u = 14.134725141734693790\cdots[/tex] then the solution would be exactly [tex]a=1/2[/tex] of course.

Caveat. Probably the original series converges only for [tex]a > 1[/tex] , so my analysis applies only to the analytic continuation.

Attached Files:

• zeta.jpg
      zeta.jpg
      File size:
      11.1 KB
      Views:
    • zeta.mw
      zeta.mw
      File size:
      29.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Jun 26, 2009 #3

OMG brilliant! Thanks! I realized this a few days ago, and just realized now that I realized it, and it looks a bit clearer now. weird.. but Im not complaining, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook