Convergence of Infinite Series: What Test to Use?

In summary, the convergence of infinite series can be determined using various tests, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. The choice of test depends on the type of series and the information given. The comparison test is useful for comparing the convergence of two series, while the ratio test is often used for determining the convergence of series with factorials or exponentials. The integral test can be used for series with positive, continuous, and decreasing terms. Ultimately, the choice of test should be based on the specific characteristics of the series in question.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Determine convergence for each of the following:

∑ 1 / [n (log n)2]
n=2

∑ 1 / [n log n log(log n)]
n=2

[log=ln=natural log]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I learned the root test, ratio test, comparsion test, and integral test. But how can we figure out what test to use? Would the "ratio test" work here?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the ratio test would help since you'll end up with ln(n + 1).
Try comparing n*(ln(n))2 with something that grows slower for x > 2.

hmm...Why wouldn't the ratio test work?? What's wrong with having ln(n+1)??

I'm just confused becuase I don't know which test to use when I look at those problems...

Should I use the integral test? Why or why not?

Thanks!

Yes, you can use the integral test (I should go to bed :blushing: too tired)

There's no way to simplify ln(n + 1). I didn't look much at doing it with the ratio test; it might be possible, but I think it would be harder than any other way.

You just have to try each test out and see if it'll work out. Eventually, you'll develop a feel for which test is probably the best for a series.

I have some problem applying the integral test for the second sum...

Integral test: if f is continuous, decreasing, and POSITIVE on [2,∞), then

∑ f(k) converges if and only if
k=2

∫ f(x) dx converges.

f(x) = 1 / [x log x log(log x)]
But f is not positive on [2,∞)
e.g. f(2)<0, f(2.1)<0

So how can we apply the integral test??

Please help...I'm confused...

Ok, then apply it on [3,infinity).

Dick said:
Ok, then apply it on [3,infinity).

But is that ok? Will it affect convergence/divergence?

∫ f(x) dx
k
Does the value of "k" here have any effect on convergence/divergence?

kingwinner said:
But is that ok? Will it affect convergence/divergence?

∫ f(x) dx
k
Does the value of "k" here have any effect on convergence/divergence?

You can drop any finite number of terms without affecting convergence or divergence of the series. So no, k doesn't really matter.

Dick said:
You can drop any finite number of terms without affecting convergence or divergence of the series. So no, k doesn't really matter.

For infinite series, the place where it starts has no effect on convergence/divergence.
But is it also true for improper INTEGRALS?

∫ f(x) dx converges

∫ f(x) dx diverges
Is this possible??

kingwinner said:
For infinite series, the place where it starts has no effect on convergence/divergence.
But is it also true for improper INTEGRALS?

∫ f(x) dx converges

∫ f(x) dx diverges
Is this possible??

Sure, it's possible. That's why you have to check the premises of the integral test before you apply it. f(x) has to be nonnegative and monotone decreasing on the part of the series you want to apply it to. Just like in this case you should move k from 2 to 3.

Integral test: if f is continuous(?), decreasing, and POSITIVE on [n,∞), then

∑ f(k) converges if and only if
k=n

∫ f(x) dx converges.
n

To apply the integral test, does f have to be continuous? In my first year calculus textbook, the integral test is as stated above; f is assumed to be continuous. But in my other textbook, there is no such assumption. Or maybe there is a typo?

What is the correct statement of the integral test? Do we need to assume continuity?

Yes, f(x) has to be continuous. If there is a infinite discontinuity, it will seriously affect convergence. If there is a jump discontinuity, then your function isn't likely to be easily integrable.

Of course, [tex]\frac{1}{x log(x) log(log(x))}[/tex] is quite easily integrable and is continuous from 3 to infinity. Go for it.

I believe (and I might be wrong) that an integral implies continuity.

Maybe even right... have you tried integrating 1/x over an interval that includes 0?

But I think it is continuity implies integrable, not vice versa...

What can happen to the "Integral Test" if f is not continuous?

(actually in my real analysis book, they didn't mention "continuity" in the integral test at all, weird...)

kingwinner said:
But I think it is continuity implies integrable, not vice versa...

What can happen to the "Integral Test" if f is not continuous?

(actually in my real analysis book, they didn't mention "continuity" in the integral test at all, weird...)

Think about why the integral test works. f(x) is decreasing. You can make part of your series into an upper sum for the integral and part into a lower sum. Draw a picture. You'll see continuity isn't necessary. Though I can't think of a single reason to take f(x) to be discontinuous.

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms, where each term is related to the previous one by a specific pattern or rule. It is represented in the form of a1 + a2 + a3 + ... + an and is denoted by the symbol Σ.

2. What is convergence in infinite series?

Convergence in infinite series refers to the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases towards infinity. If the sum of the series approaches a finite value, then the series is said to be convergent. If the sum approaches infinity or does not approach any value, then the series is said to be divergent.

3. How do you test for convergence in an infinite series?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence of an infinite series, such as the comparison test, the integral test, the ratio test, and the root test. Each test has its own conditions and criteria for convergence, and the appropriate test should be chosen based on the characteristics of the series.

4. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a convergent series where the sum of the absolute values of the terms is finite. Conditional convergence refers to a convergent series where the sum of the terms is finite, but the sum of the absolute values of the terms is infinite. In other words, absolute convergence is a stronger form of convergence compared to conditional convergence.

5. What is the relationship between convergence and divergence in infinite series?

The concepts of convergence and divergence are opposite of each other in infinite series. If a series is convergent, it means that the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, if a series is divergent, it means that the sum of the terms either approaches infinity or does not approach any value. It is important to determine the convergence or divergence of a series in order to understand its behavior and make further calculations.