So, the infinite series converges for a>2 and diverges for a=2.

In summary, an infinite series is a mathematical representation of an infinite sum of terms, written in the form of a summation symbol followed by the terms of the series. Convergence of an infinite series means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. There are various methods for determining the convergence of an infinite series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. Absolute convergence is a stronger form of convergence, while conditional convergence means that the series only converges when the terms are summed in a specific order. Real-world applications of infinite series convergence include calculations in physics and engineering, development of numerical methods and algorithms, and use in financial mathematics and data analysis.
ShizukaSm

Homework Statement

Show that the infinite series
[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\sqrt{n^a+1}-\sqrt{n^a})[/itex]

Converges for a>2 and diverges for x =2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm reviewing series, which I studied a certain time ago and picking some questions at random, I can't solve this one.

I tried every test I could think of, they were ALL inconclusive, I believe there's some function I must came up with to use with the comparison test, but I can't figure which one is it.

Physics news on Phys.org
ShizukaSm said:

Homework Statement

I'm reviewing series, which I studied a certain time ago and picking some questions at random, I can't solve this one.

I tried every test I could think of, they were ALL inconclusive, I believe there's some function I must came up with to use with the comparison test, but I can't figure which one is it.

Did you try rationalizing the numerator first?

Ohh, no I didn't. I didn't even think about that, but now that you mentioned it, it worked perfectly, I could apply the comparison test in the rationalized numerator and find my answer, beautiful!

Thanks a LOT LCKurtz :D

Ps: I really wish I had more of a "math view" that you guys in this forum frequently have, and identify when I should rationalize, when I should expand fractions, etc.

ShizukaSm said:

Homework Statement

Since x isn't present in this problem, I assume you mean a = 2, and possibly a ≤ 2.
ShizukaSm said:

Hey mark44!

Yes, I apologize, I actually meant a>2 and not x>2, and yes, it's bigger than. If you do the rationalization it will become clear that you can compare the a=2 (when it becomes divergent) with the harmonic series, and a>2 will have an exponent smaller than one (p-series with p <1, that is, convergent.)

ShizukaSm said:
Hey mark44!

Yes, I apologize, I actually meant a>2 and not x>2, and yes, it's bigger than.
You wrote a > 2 for convergence, which was OK. The other part had to do with divergence of the series, and you wrote x = 2. My correction was to change this to a = 2.
ShizukaSm said:
If you do the rationalization it will become clear that you can compare the a=2 (when it becomes divergent) with the harmonic series, and a>2 will have an exponent smaller than one (p-series with p <1, that is, convergent.)

Ok so I thought I figured out with the rationalization tip, but I think I only solved half of the problem with it:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^a +1}+\sqrt{n^a}} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^a}}[/itex] For all n and a>0

So, applying the comparison test:

[itex]\sum_{n->0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{a/2}}[/itex]

Which converges for p>1, thus, for a>2. Great, I just provided proof that it converges for a>2.

While it's obvious that when a=2 it becomes the harmonic series, I can't use that in the proof, because I'm comparing a smaller series with a bigger one, so I can only proof convergence, how would I go about providing proof of divergence?

Thanks in advance.

Try making the denominator a little bigger but still keeping it "like" a harmonic series.

Hey LCKurtz!
Thanks again for all your help, I did it, but I did using the limit comparison test this time, with:
[Itex]b_n=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]

It worked flawlessly! Out of curiosity, though did you find another solution? I just ask because you mentioned "making it bigger".

ShizukaSm said:
Hey LCKurtz!
Thanks again for all your help, I did it, but I did using the limit comparison test this time, with:
[itex]b_n=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]

It worked flawlessly! Out of curiosity, though did you find another solution? I just ask because you mentioned "making it bigger".

I used the estimate$$
\frac 1 {\sqrt{n^a+1}+\sqrt{n^a}}\ge \frac 1 {\sqrt{n^a+1}+\sqrt{n^a+1}}
=\frac 1 {2\sqrt{n^a+1}}$$and used the limit comparison on that with ##\frac 1 n## for ##a=2##.

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical representation of an infinite sum of terms. It is written in the form of a summation symbol followed by the terms of the series. For example, the infinite series 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... can be written as ∑n=1∞ n, where n represents the terms of the series.

What does it mean for an infinite series to converge?

Convergence of an infinite series means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the series has a finite sum even though it has an infinite number of terms. For example, the infinite series 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... converges to the finite value of 2.

How do you determine if an infinite series converges?

There are several methods for determining the convergence of an infinite series, including the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms of the series as n approaches infinity and determining if they approach a finite value or not. If the terms approach a finite value, then the series converges.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence is a stronger form of convergence where the series converges regardless of the order in which the terms are summed. In contrast, conditional convergence means that the series only converges when the terms are summed in a specific order. A series can be absolutely convergent but not conditionally convergent, or vice versa.

What are some real-world applications of infinite series convergence?

Infinite series convergence has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. For example, it is used in the calculation of electric fields and gravitational forces. It is also used in the development of numerical methods and algorithms for solving complex problems in various fields of science and technology. Additionally, infinite series convergence is used in financial mathematics to calculate compound interest and in data analysis to approximate functions and data sets.