Infinite Series from Perturbation Theory

In summary, Daniel is trying to solve an infinite series problem and has no clue where to start. He has found a sum that is always zero, but can't solve it explicitly. He is thinking that if he can find the 2nd order energy correction to Energy En, then the sum would be equal to n.
ALime88
Hey there, I'm working on a perturbation theory problem, and I have no clue where to start in solving an infinite series.

It's an infinite square well with a delta function potential in the centre and I'm trying to find the 2nd order energy correction to Energy En. Anyway, what I've got is

SIGMA [sin(m*Pi/2)sin(n*Pi/2)]^2/(n^2-m^2)

where that sum is over m, from 1 to Infinity but not equalling n (the denominator would be 0 then). It can be solved explicitly, but again, I have no clue where to start. Thanks for any pointers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did u mean:

[tex]\sum_{m=1,m \neq n}^{+\infty} \frac{\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}\sin\frac{n\pi}{2}}{n^{2}-m^{2}} [/tex]
??

Daniel.

Yeah that's exactly it! Sorry for not posting it in such a clear form... Is there a built-in equation editor in the posting process??

Can u compute this sum?

[tex]\sum_{n=a}^{+\infty} \frac{\sin n}{n} [/tex]

Daniel.

PS.If u know Tex,then u can type your formulas and a built-in compiler will show them...

I thought about it and scanned some textbooks, and no I don't know how to solve that... I'm sure I could figure it out relatively easily, so how could that help with the initially stated question?

Now I'm probably say something stupid, so dextercioby, feel free to slap me...If it's the TEX-sum in your post, that ALime is talking about then it's fairly easy: those sinusoids are always equal to one, so the term to be summed is just [tex]\frac{1}{n^2-m^2}[/tex]. It's hellish arithmetic, and I can't really reproduce it now, but the sum over such a term equals [tex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex], if I'm not mistaking. If you have Griffiths, check problem 6.4.

Last edited:
wizzart said:
Now I'm probably say something stupid, so dextercioby, feel free to slap me...

:tongue2: :rofl: Nice wording... :tongue2:

wizzart said:
If it's the TEX-sum in your post, that ALime is talking about then it's fairly easy: those sinusoids are always equal to one,

Not really.Those synusoides are either plus or minus (remember that "n" is natural,arbitrary and fixed,the summing is after "m"),so
[tex] \sin\frac{n\pi}{2}=\pm 1 [/tex]

On the other side,"m" takes all natural values for which [itex]m\neq n [/itex],which means that this "sine" can also be "+1" or "-1".
[tex] \sin\frac{m\pi}{2}=\pm 1[/tex]

Now consider their product.Are u sure that for every "m" and "n" possible,their product is "+1"??

vincentchan said:
so the term to be summed is just [tex]\frac{1}{n^2-m^2}[/tex]. It's hellish arithmetic, and I can't really reproduce it now, but the sum over such a term equals [tex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex], if I'm not mistaking. If you have Griffiths, check problem 6.4.

I'm not at the library,but i'll check it.
Is it in:
David J.Griffiths:"Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" ??

Daniel.

I checked the griffith book already.. the sum should look like this
[tex]\sum_{m=1,n=1m \neq n}^{m=+\infty,n=+\infty} \frac{\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}\sin\frac{n\pi}{2}}{n^{2}-m^{2}} [/tex]
the answer is trivial and the reason is obvious

That changes things.I didn't know the sum would go over "n" as well... :mad:

Using that
[tex] \sin u \sin v =\frac{1}{2}[\cos(u-v)-\cos(u+v)] [/tex]

Then
[tex] \sin\frac{n\pi}{2}\cos\frac{m\pi}{2}=\frac{1}{2}\{\cos[\frac{\pi}{2}(n-m)]-\cos[\frac{\pi}{2}(n+m)]\} [/tex]

which is identically zero for "obvious reasons"...

Daniel.

P.S.Ty Vincentchan,u spared me a visit to the library. :smile:

Last edited:
:cry: stupid me...ow well, still, if there weren't sinusoids, my post would be true ;), except when n is also a changing variable...Don't think it should be, but if you say so.

Hey guys, the sum should NOT be over n. The problem I'm doing actually is Griffith's 6.4, and I'm looking for the correction to the nth energy level, so the n stays in as the index variable. Also, the sinusoids are multiplied, then squared on top, so they will only ever be 0 or 1. So I guess I could still use some help. The prof said that it's rather involved to do explicitly.

Okay,then,lemme give you an idea.Please make up your mind about this problem,will u??

State it in the original context.

Daniel.

so, now you are doing
[tex]\sum_{m=1,m \neq n}^{+\infty} \frac{ (\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}\sin\frac{n\pi}{2})^2}{n^{2}-m^{2}} [/tex]
right?

Ok...

[tex]E^2_{n}=CONSTANT\sum_{m=1,m\neq n}\frac{(\sin(\frac{m\pi}{2})\sin(\frac{n\pi}{2}))^2}{n^2-m^2}[/tex]

This is it. And it's the right side of that equation that I can't solve. Hey VincentChan, why did you think it was summed over n as well?

Sorry VC, didn't mean for that to sound rude.. just wondering if I might be doing it wrong.

Well,even in this case,why would anything be different??My decomposition into difference of cosines would not be affected whatsover,"n" and "m" are still natural numbers and the cosines would still be zero.Zero squared is still zero...Sum of zeros is still zero.

Daniel.

They are sines, not cosines. [tex](sin(\frac{m\pi}{2}))^2=1[/tex] for odd m.

Oh I what you're talking about with the cosines. Anyway the answer is not zero.

The answer is (as can be seen in Griffiths) proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{n^2}[\tex]

Proportional to [tex]\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] I meant... wrong slash

1. What is the purpose of using perturbation theory in infinite series?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical technique used to approximate solutions to problems that cannot be solved exactly. In the context of infinite series, it allows us to approximate an infinite sum by considering the contributions from each term separately. This can be useful when the series is too complex to be solved directly, or when we are only interested in the behavior of the series for a small range of values.

2. How is perturbation theory applied to infinite series?

In perturbation theory, we start with a known, simpler problem and then add additional terms or factors to represent the perturbation. In the case of infinite series, we start with a known infinite sum and then add additional terms that represent small corrections or adjustments to the series. These corrections are typically expressed as a series themselves, and by adding them to the original series, we can obtain a more accurate approximation of the true solution.

3. Can perturbation theory be used for any type of infinite series?

Yes, perturbation theory can be applied to any type of infinite series, as long as the series has a small parameter that can be used to represent the perturbation. This parameter should be small enough that the resulting perturbation series converges and provides a good approximation to the original series. However, perturbation theory may not always be the best approach for solving infinite series, and other techniques may be more appropriate depending on the specific problem.

4. How accurate are the results obtained from perturbation theory?

The accuracy of the results obtained from perturbation theory depends on the size of the perturbation parameter and the number of terms included in the perturbation series. In general, the more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, as the number of terms increases, the calculations can become more complex and time-consuming. It is important to carefully consider the trade-off between accuracy and computational complexity when using perturbation theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using perturbation theory in infinite series?

Yes, there are some limitations to using perturbation theory in infinite series. For example, if the perturbation is too large or if the perturbation series does not converge, the results obtained may be inaccurate or even meaningless. In addition, perturbation theory may not be suitable for highly non-linear problems, where small changes in the perturbation parameter can lead to large changes in the solution. It is important to carefully assess the applicability of perturbation theory to a specific problem before using it to approximate an infinite series.