1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series: nth-term test

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1
    I'm reading How to Ace the Rest of Calculus and on page 31 there's a test for divergence that says if the limit (as n goes to infinity) of a_n is NOT equal to zero, then the infinite series [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] (that goes from n = 1 to infinity) diverges.

3 pages before that, on 28, there's an example on a series that converges to 1... The sum is represented by [tex]S_n = (2^n - 1)/2^n[/tex]

I'm confused here: since taking the limit of that [tex]S_n[/tex] equals to 1... shouldn't the series diverge? Come to think of it I know I'm missing something here because as I understand it according to that test ANY series that has a limit to any number but 0 diverges which makes no sense. I know that test does nor work in reverse btw (limit going to 0 doesn't mean it converges) but this still sounds like all series convergence must go to 0... which I know is wrong. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are confusing [tex]a_{n}[/tex] with [tex]S_{n}[/tex]
    [tex]a_{n}[/tex] is just some sequence of numbers, while [tex]S_{n}[/tex] is the sum of the first n [tex]a_{j} (j=1,2...n)[/tex]
    Was that clear enough?

4. Oct 22, 2004 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With the divergence test you look at the limit of the terms in your series, the [tex]a_n[/tex]'s. This is different from the limit of the partial sums, the [tex]S_n[/tex]'s. Note [tex]S_n=\sum_{i=1}^{n}a_i[/tex] and we define [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}a_i=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}S_n[/tex]

The example you gave, the partial sums [tex]S_n = (2^n - 1)/2^n[/tex], came from the terms [tex]a_n=1/2^n[/tex]. Here [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}a_n=0[/tex] so the divergence test is inconclusive. The partial sums converge to 1, so we say the series converges.

5. Oct 22, 2004 #4
    haha that was simple. :redface:

Thanks. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?