1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series please help.

1. Jun 23, 2005 #1
    I'm having a little trouble with the following problem. here it is...

Determinte whether a_n is convergent for...

[tex] a_n = \frac{2n}{3n+1}[/tex]

How would i go about solving this? Can i just simply take the limit and use L'Hospital's rule to see if it diverges or converges? Or is it a little more complicated than that? Im asking this because in this section we're studying geometric series, and that doesnt look like a geo series to me since n is not in the exponent. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2005 #2
    hello there

that aint a series, its a sequence

well to find if a_n is convergent, you would want to see what happens as n goes to infinity, and to do that divide the numerator and the denominator by the highest power in a_n, and im sure you should know what happens to 1/n as n goes to infinty

steven

4. Jun 23, 2005 #3
    one more thing

if it is a series i would use either the
    comparision test
    or the
    limit comparision test

steven

5. Jun 24, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Series or sequence?

You don't need anything as complicated as L'Hospital's rule to determine this. If you mean the sequence [tex]\frac{2n}{3n+1}[/tex], just divide both numerator and denominator by n to get [tex]\frac{2}{3+\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]. What happens to that as n goes to infinity?

If you mean the series [tex]\Sigma_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{3n}{3n+1}[/tex], that's also easy after you know the limit of the sequence- in order that the series [tex]\Sigma a_n[/tex] converge, the sequence {an} must converge to 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?