Solving Infinite Series: a_n = \frac{2n}{3n+1}

In summary, the problem involves determining whether the sequence or series a_n = \frac{2n}{3n+1} is convergent. To solve this, one can divide the numerator and denominator by n to get \frac{2}{3+\frac{1}{n}} and observe what happens as n goes to infinity. If it is a sequence, the limit must converge to 0 for the series to converge. If it is a series, the comparison or limit comparison test can also be used.
ziddy83
I'm having a little trouble with the following problem. here it is...

Determinte whether a_n is convergent for...

[tex] a_n = \frac{2n}{3n+1}[/tex]

How would i go about solving this? Can i just simply take the limit and use L'Hospital's rule to see if it diverges or converges? Or is it a little more complicated than that? I am asking this because in this section we're studying geometric series, and that doesn't look like a geo series to me since n is not in the exponent. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello there

that aint a series, its a sequence

well to find if a_n is convergent, you would want to see what happens as n goes to infinity, and to do that divide the numerator and the denominator by the highest power in a_n, and I am sure you should know what happens to 1/n as n goes to infinty

steven

one more thing

if it is a series i would use either the
comparision test
or the
limit comparision test

steven

ziddy83 said:
I'm having a little trouble with the following problem. here it is...

Determinte whether a_n is convergent for...

[tex] a_n = \frac{2n}{3n+1}[/tex]

How would i go about solving this? Can i just simply take the limit and use L'Hospital's rule to see if it diverges or converges? Or is it a little more complicated than that? I am asking this because in this section we're studying geometric series, and that doesn't look like a geo series to me since n is not in the exponent. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Series or sequence?

You don't need anything as complicated as L'Hospital's rule to determine this. If you mean the sequence [tex]\frac{2n}{3n+1}[/tex], just divide both numerator and denominator by n to get [tex]\frac{2}{3+\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]. What happens to that as n goes to infinity?

If you mean the series [tex]\Sigma_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{3n}{3n+1}[/tex], that's also easy after you know the limit of the sequence- in order that the series [tex]\Sigma a_n[/tex] converge, the sequence {an} must converge to 0.

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical concept that involves adding up an infinite number of terms. It can be represented as a sum of a sequence of numbers, with each term being added to the previous one.

What is the general formula for solving infinite series?

The general formula for solving an infinite series is a_n = \frac{a_1}{1-r}, where a_n is the nth term of the series, a_1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio between consecutive terms.

How do you determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series?

To determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, the root test, or the comparison test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known series with known convergence or divergence.

What is the common ratio in the given series a_n = \frac{2n}{3n+1}?

The common ratio in the given series is \frac{2}{3}. This can be determined by dividing each term by the previous one, and the resulting ratio will approach \frac{2}{3} as n approaches infinity.

How do you find the sum of an infinite series?

To find the sum of an infinite series, you can use the formula S = \frac{a_1}{1-r}, where S is the sum, a_1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio. However, this formula only works for geometric series with a common ratio between -1 and 1. For other types of series, you may need to use other methods such as partial sums or specialized tests.