What is the sum of this infinite series?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the convergence of an infinite series using methods such as the ratio test, root test, and geometric series. The suggestion is made to rewrite the series in terms of (7/8)^k for easier convergence determination.
CalculusSandwich
Hello i have the infinite series

7^(K+1)/2^(3k-1)

How do i find what it converges to if it does converge.

Limit comparison does me no good. I am thinking integral and ratio test.

root test does me no good either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think geometric series, the ratio test also works nicely and is probably easier than trying to make this look more like a geometric series. The root test should work as well, but I think it would be a little tricky.

Last edited:
A simpler way, see if you can re-write it as a series in terms of (7/8)k

Thanks for the replies, I applied the ratio test.

7^K+1+1 2^3k-1 7^k (x) 7^2 2^3k (x) 2^-1
--------- x ---------- = ----------------- x --------------
2^3k-1+1 7^k+1 2^3k 7^k (x) 7^1

-----------
7^k+1
------
2^3k-1

So everything but the 7^2 which is 49 and 2^-1 / 7 which is 24.5 / 7 , which gives me 3.5, however i think this is wrong.

You say "thanks for the replies" but simply ignore them?

Your calculation is completely wrong:
7^K+1+1 2^3k-1 7^k (x) 7^2 2^3k (x) 2^-1
--------- x ---------- = ----------------- x --------------
2^3k-1+1 7^k+1 2^3k 7^k (x) 7^1
[tex]\frac{7^{k+1+1}}{2^{3k-1+1}}[/tex]
is wrong. You are adding 1 to k, not to the exponent. It should be:
[tex]\frac{7^{(k+1)+1}}{2^{3(k+1)-1}}= \frac{7^{k+2}}{2^{3k+2}}[/tex].

In any case, it is far simpler to do as both d_leet and Office Shredder suggested: write this as a geometric sequence with common ratio 7/8. That way, it is not only obvious that the sequence converges but easy to see what it converges to!

1. What is an infinite series problem?

An infinite series problem is a mathematical problem that involves adding up an infinite number of terms in a specific pattern. It is a type of mathematical sequence that has no fixed end point.

2. What are some common examples of infinite series problems?

Some common examples of infinite series problems include the geometric series, harmonic series, and Taylor series. These problems are often used in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

3. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or the integral test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases and can help determine if the series will have a finite sum or not.

4. Can an infinite series have a finite sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a finite sum. This is known as a convergent series. However, not all infinite series will have a finite sum, and some will diverge to infinity.

5. How are infinite series problems used in real-life applications?

Infinite series problems are used in many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future behavior. For example, the Taylor series can be used to approximate functions and make accurate predictions in scientific and engineering fields.