1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series problem

1. Jun 14, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 14, 2013 #3
    I just rewrote the thing in the link to only include the part I was having difficulty with.

$$ \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\frac{n}{n+1} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\left(1 - \frac{1}{n+1}\right)=1-\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(n+1)2^{n+1}}=1-\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n2^{n}}$$. The link says that this is equal to $$1-\textstyle\log 2$$ (or less ambiguously, ln 2) which is why I said what I did in the first post. And I'm pretty sure it is true. I wrote a program and I summed from 1 to 100 and I got almost exactly ln 2.

5. Jun 14, 2013 #4
  6. Jun 14, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Consider the geometric series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} x^n = \frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

Then integrating yields

[tex]\int_0^t \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} x^n dx = \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} \int_0^t x^n dx = \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n+1} t^{n+1} = \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{t^n}{n}[/tex]

And thus

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{t^n}{n} = \int_0^t\frac{1}{1-x} dx = -\log|1-t|[/tex]

Filling in ##t=1/2## gives us

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n2^n} = - \log(1/2) = \log(2)[/tex]

I leave it up to you to justify each step in this calculation rigorously.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook