Convergent Infinite Series Proof: Sum of Even and Odd Terms

In summary, the problem asks for an equation that states that the sum of a series of integers, all starting at 0, is equal to the sum of a series of integers, all starting at 1. However, this equality does not always hold, depending on the scenarios in which the series start at different points.
BrownianMan
Prove that [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] = [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }(x_{2i} + x_{2i+1})[/itex] if [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty }x_{i}[/itex] converges and if for any [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex] there is some m such that [itex]|x_{k}| < \varepsilon[/itex] for all [itex]k\geq m[/itex].

I'm a little confused by this because for 1/(4^i) for i from 1 to infinity, this doesn't hold. The sum of 1/(4^2i) for i from 1 to infinity is 1/15 and the sum of 1/(4^(2i+1)) for i from 1 to infinity is 1/60. Together they have a sum of 1/12. But the sum of 1/(4^i) for i from 1 to infinity is 1/3. Doesn't this only hold when the index starts at i=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a small problem with the indices. The sum on the right is missing x1.

SammyS said:
There is a small problem with the indices. The sum on the right is missing x1.

Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking. So there must be something wrong with the question, right?

It would work if the sums started at i = 0.

It would also work if the index 2i+1 were changed to 2i-1 in the sum on the right side, or if the sum on the left side had i start at 2, etc.

Of course the equality can only hold if both series converge.

SammyS said:
It would work if the sums started at i = 0.

It would also work if the index 2i+1 were changed to 2i-1 in the sum on the right side, or if the sum on the left side had i start at 2, etc.

Of course the equality can only hold if both series converge.

True.

I'm not sure if I need to outline the different scenarios for which the equality holds, or just state that the equality as given in the problem is not true. I guess I'll have to ask my prof.

Thanks for the resposnes though.

I suspect the both sums should start with i=0, & that's the version your prof. will want you work with.

1. What is an infinite series proof?

An infinite series proof is a mathematical technique used to show that a particular series, which is an infinite sum of numbers, converges to a certain value. This involves evaluating the infinite sum using various methods and showing that the result is finite.

2. How do you prove the convergence of an infinite series?

There are several methods that can be used to prove the convergence of an infinite series. One common method is the comparison test, which compares the given series to another series with known convergence. Other methods include the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test.

3. What is the importance of proving the convergence of an infinite series?

Proving the convergence of an infinite series is important because it allows us to determine the sum of the series, which may not be obvious from its initial terms. This can have practical applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance.

4. Can an infinite series have multiple proofs of convergence?

Yes, an infinite series can have multiple proofs of convergence. This is because there are various methods that can be used to prove convergence, and different methods may be more suitable for different series. Additionally, some series may have multiple possible approaches to prove convergence.

5. Are there series that cannot be proven to converge?

Yes, there are series that cannot be proven to converge. These are known as divergent series, and they do not have a finite sum. This can be shown using various tests, such as the divergence test or the limit comparison test. It is important to note that just because a series cannot be proven to converge, it does not necessarily mean that it diverges.