1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Series using Falling Factorials

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine [itex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(4k+1)(4k+2)(4k+3)(4k+4)}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    ## (x)_m=x(x-1)(x-2)...(x-(m-1)) ##, integer ##m\geq0##.
    ## (x)_{-m}=\frac{1}{(x+1)(x+2)...(x+m)}##, integer ##m>0##.
    ## Δ((x)_m)=m(x)_{m-1}##
    [itex]\sum_{a\leq k<b} (k)_m=\frac{(x)_{m+1}}{m+1} |_a^b[/itex], if ##m\neq-1##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I noted that [itex](4k)_{-4}=\frac{1}{(4k+1)(4k+2)(4k+3)(4k+4)} [/itex]; so I rewrote the series as $$ \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(\sum_{k=0}^n (4k)_{-4}). $$
    Evaluating the series I get,
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    \sum_{k=0}^n (4k)_{-4} &=\frac{(4k)_{-3}}{-3}|_0^{n+1}\\
    &= \frac{(4(n+1))_{-3}}{-3}-\frac{(0)_{-3}}{-3}\\
    &= -\frac{1}{3}\frac{1}{[4(n+1)+1][4(n+1)+2][4(n+1)+3]}+\frac{1}{18}
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    I then took the limit of the closed form expression for the series above, $$ \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(-\frac{1}{3}\frac{1}{[4(n+1)+1][4(n+1)+2][4(n+1)+3]}+\frac{1}{18})=\frac{1}{18}.$$

The answer is ln2/4-pi/24. This is the first time that I've used the falling factorials outside of the textbook in which they appeared; so I'm not sure if using it on this question is even correct (but i can't see why it wouldn't be). If anyone can give me a hint or explanation, it would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?