Decoding Infinite Series with Double Integrals

In summary, the conversation is about a thread on the Physics Forums website discussing the conversion of a sum to an integral. The conversation includes a link to a post by user matt grime and a double integral that is equivalent to the sum \sum_{n=1}^{\infty }\frac{1}{n^2}. The discussion also touches on the use of the geometric series to prove the equivalence of the integral and the sum. The main question is how to come up with a computable integral for a given sum.
Screwdriver

Homework Statement

Check out matt grime's post in this thread (it's the last one):

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=470773#post470773"

How exactly did he know that the sum could be represented as that double integral? Also, is there a method of converting sums like that to integrals (double or otherwise) for summands other than [itex]n^{-2}[/itex] such as [itex]n^{-7}[/itex] or something?

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}\frac{1}{1-xy}dxdy=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty }\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Come to think of it, I don't even really see how that helps you, because the series expansion for the [itex]y[/itex] integral (after computing the [itex]x[/itex] integral) is the derivative of the series you're trying to find, so integrating it just brings you back to where you started. The only thing I was able to note was that:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (xy)^n=\frac{1}{1-xy}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you asking?? Are you asking why

[tex]\int_0^1\int_0^1\frac{dxdy}{1-xy}=\sum{\frac{1}{n^2}}[/tex]

Well, you're on the right way. Just notice that

[tex]\frac{1}{1-xy}=\sum{(xy)^{n-1}}[/tex]

So by monotone convergence, we can switch the limit and the integral: So

[tex]\int_0^1\int_0^1\frac{dxdy}{1-xy}=\sum\int_0^1\int_0^1 (xy)^{n-1}dxdy[/tex]

So you only need to calculate [itex]\int_0^1\int_0^1 (xy)^{n-1}dxdy[/itex] now...

Well what I'm really asking is how to convert the sum to an integral. Like If I just saw [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty }\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] somewhere, I would start with this:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (xy)^{n-1}=\frac{1}{1-xy}[/tex]

But how did I know to start with that? It appears to have no relation to [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty }\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] ... and then all of a sudden there's a double integral with non-infinite limits.

Recall the (real) geometric series,

[itex]\frac {1}{1-x}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n[/itex]

This is true provided, of course, that [itex]|x|<1[/itex].

Anytime you see a rational expression of this form, a light should go off in your head regarding the geometric series. It should be easy to see now how to prove the equivalence of your double integral and [itex]\zeta(2)[/itex].

Not sure if this clarifies anything; let us know if you have more questions.

lineintegral1 said:
Recall the (real) geometric series,

[itex]\frac {1}{1-x}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n[/itex]

This is true provided, of course, that [itex]|x|<1[/itex].

Anytime you see a rational expression of this form, a light should go off in your head regarding the geometric series. It should be easy to see now how to prove the equivalence of your double integral and [itex]\zeta(2)[/itex].

Not sure if this clarifies anything; let us know if you have more questions.

It's not showing that the integral and sum are equivalent that's my problem, it's coming up with the integral in the first place :wink:. Let me try to rephrase this:

Given a sum, I want to know how to write down a computable integral whose value is the value of that sum.

First and last bump for this thread.

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical expression that consists of an infinite number of terms. These terms are added together to form a sum.

What is the purpose of studying infinite series?

The study of infinite series is important in mathematics because it allows us to approximate functions, solve problems in physics and engineering, and understand concepts such as convergence and divergence.

What are some common types of infinite series?

Some common types of infinite series include geometric series, harmonic series, and Taylor series. These series have distinct patterns and properties that are useful in solving various problems.

How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, we can use various tests such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests help us understand the behavior of the series and whether it approaches a finite value or goes to infinity.

Are there real-world applications of infinite series?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of infinite series. For example, in finance, infinite series are used to calculate compound interest. In physics, they are used to model physical phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum. In computer science, they are used in algorithms for data compression and error correction.