Infinite Series Word Problem

So you can choose a specific value for one Fn and use it to find the other unknown. For example, if you choose Fn = 4500, you will get two equations in two unknowns (a and c). Solve those equations. Then you can use the values you get for a and c to find the long-term population of the fish.In summary, two individuals are discussing a question about a fishery manager using an infinite series to find the long-term population of fish. The question is unclear about whether the population is measured after a harvest or before, but ultimately it is determined that the population will either continue to increase indefinitely or eventually die out. The individuals also discuss a method for solving the equation and finding
Burjam

Homework Statement

A fishery manager knows that her fish population naturally increases at a rate of 1.4% per month, while 119
fish are harvested each month. Let Fn be the fish population after the nth month, where F0 = 4500 fish. Assume that that process continues indefinitely. Use the infinite series to find the long-term (steady-state) population of the fish exactly.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue is that I can't seem to set up an expression to evaluate the series. I know that the expression will involve subtracting 119 and use 0.014 to represent the percent increase. If it were only the percent increase, I would be able to set up an expression. But the -119 is really throwing me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Burjam said:

Homework Statement

A fishery manager knows that her fish population naturally increases at a rate of 1.4% per month, while 119
fish are harvested each month. Let Fn be the fish population after the nth month, where F0 = 4500 fish. Assume that that process continues indefinitely. Use the infinite series to find the long-term (steady-state) population of the fish exactly.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue is that I can't seem to set up an expression to evaluate the series. I know that the expression will involve subtracting 119 and use 0.014 to represent the percent increase. If it were only the percent increase, I would be able to set up an expression. But the -119 is really throwing me off.
The question does not make clear whether the Fn represent the population just after a harvest or just before. I would take it as just after.
If the population is Fn after the nth month what will it be after one more month?

Fn+1 = Fn(1 + 0.014) - 119?

Burjam said:
Right. Do you know a way to solve such equations? If not, an easy thing to try is to see if you can add a constant to each Fn so that it reduces to a simple geometric progression.

haruspex said:
Right. Do you know a way to solve such equations? If not, an easy thing to try is to see if you can add a constant to each Fn so that it reduces to a simple geometric progression.

I don't know how to write this equation without Fn being in terms of Fn+1 or Fn-1.

Burjam said:
I don't know how to write this equation without Fn being in terms of Fn+1 or Fn-1.
It will be the same equation, but written in the form (Fn+1+c)=a(Fn+c) for some pair of constants a and c.

haruspex said:
It will be the same equation, but written in the form (Fn+1+c)=a(Fn+c) for some pair of constants a and c.

How will adding the c to both sides eliminate the Fn+1? None of the problems I have done or have examples of with infinite series so far have anything like this, so I don't really have anything to go by.

Burjam said:
How will adding the c to both sides eliminate the Fn+1?
I did not suggest it would.
You have this equation: Fn+1 = Fn(1 + 0.014) - 119
and I am suggesting this form of it: (Fn+1+c)=a(Fn+c)
What do you get if you combine them?

Burjam said:

You have ##F_{n+1} = 1.014 F_n - 119## with ##F_0 = 4500##. Try calculating ##F_1, F_2, F_3## (keeping ##F_0## symbolic instead of 4500). In fact, it might make everything much clearer if you keep all parameters symbolic, so that ##F_{n+1} = r F_n - k##. Using symbols like that instead of numbers helps keep separate the different effects.

However, I think there is something very wrong with the original problem statement: for ##r > 1## (for example, for ##r = 1.014##) you must have a very special relationship between ##F_0,r,k## in order to obtain a finite limit; otherwise you will either have ##F_n \to +\infty## as ##n \to \infty## (for some combinations of ##F_0##, ##r##, and ##k##) or else ##F_n \to -\infty## for for other combinations. Of course, the latter case really means that ##F_n## hits zero at some finite ##n## and so the fish population dies out completely and the problem ends; ##F_n## does not actually go to ##-\infty##.

Likes Logical Dog
haruspex said:
I did not suggest it would.
You have this equation: Fn+1 = Fn(1 + 0.014) - 119
and I am suggesting this form of it: (Fn+1+c)=a(Fn+c)
What do you get if you combine them?

By combine them, do you mean take a Fn+1 in the second equation as Fn+1 = Fn(1+0.014) - 119 and then try to solve for a and C?

Ray Vickson said:
I think there is something very wrong with the original problem statement
I assumed it was intended that:
Ray Vickson said:
you will either have ##F_n \to +\infty## as n→∞... [or] ... the fish population dies out completely

Burjam said:
By combine them, do you mean take a Fn+1 in the second equation as Fn+1 = Fn(1+0.014) - 119 and then try to solve for a and C?
Yes. You will have one equation with two unknowns, but remember that the equation has to be true for all Fn.

What is an infinite series word problem?

An infinite series word problem is a mathematical problem that involves an infinite sequence of numbers or terms. The goal is to find the sum of the infinite series, which may or may not converge to a finite value.

What is the difference between a convergent and divergent infinite series?

A convergent infinite series is one in which the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. A divergent infinite series is one in which the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value, but instead either tends to infinity or oscillates between positive and negative values.

How do you test for convergence or divergence of an infinite series?

The most commonly used tests for convergence or divergence of an infinite series are the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These tests compare the given series to a known convergent or divergent series and use mathematical techniques to determine the behavior of the given series.

Can an infinite series word problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, an infinite series word problem can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often multiple ways to manipulate and rearrange the given series, which can lead to different sums. Additionally, some series may have multiple convergent values depending on the starting point or the number of terms used in the calculation.

What real-world applications use infinite series word problems?

Infinite series word problems have various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, the electrical resistance of a circuit, or the value of an investment over time. Infinite series also play a crucial role in the development of calculus and other mathematical concepts.