1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Series Word Problem

1. Dec 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A fishery manager knows that her fish population naturally increases at a rate of 1.4% per month, while 119
    fish are harvested each month. Let Fn be the fish population after the nth month, where F0 = 4500 fish. Assume that that process continues indefinitely. Use the infinite series to find the long-term (steady-state) population of the fish exactly.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My issue is that I can't seem to set up an expression to evaluate the series. I know that the expression will involve subtracting 119 and use 0.014 to represent the percent increase. If it were only the percent increase, I would be able to set up an expression. But the -119 is really throwing me off.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question does not make clear whether the Fn represent the population just after a harvest or just before. I would take it as just after.
    If the population is Fn after the nth month what will it be after one more month?

4. Dec 18, 2016 #3
    Fn+1 = Fn(1 + 0.014) - 119?

5. Dec 18, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right. Do you know a way to solve such equations? If not, an easy thing to try is to see if you can add a constant to each Fn so that it reduces to a simple geometric progression.

6. Dec 18, 2016 #5
    I don't know how to write this equation without Fn being in terms of Fn+1 or Fn-1.

7. Dec 18, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It will be the same equation, but written in the form (Fn+1+c)=a(Fn+c) for some pair of constants a and c.

8. Dec 18, 2016 #7
    How will adding the c to both sides eliminate the Fn+1? None of the problems I have done or have examples of with infinite series so far have anything like this, so I don't really have anything to go by.

9. Dec 18, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I did not suggest it would.
    You have this equation: Fn+1 = Fn(1 + 0.014) - 119
    and I am suggesting this form of it: (Fn+1+c)=a(Fn+c)
    What do you get if you combine them?

10. Dec 18, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have ##F_{n+1} = 1.014 F_n - 119## with ##F_0 = 4500##. Try calculating ##F_1, F_2, F_3## (keeping ##F_0## symbolic instead of 4500). In fact, it might make everything much clearer if you keep all parameters symbolic, so that ##F_{n+1} = r F_n - k##. Using symbols like that instead of numbers helps keep separate the different effects.

However, I think there is something very wrong with the original problem statement: for ##r > 1## (for example, for ##r = 1.014##) you must have a very special relationship between ##F_0,r,k## in order to obtain a finite limit; otherwise you will either have ##F_n \to +\infty## as ##n \to \infty## (for some combinations of ##F_0##, ##r##, and ##k##) or else ##F_n \to -\infty## for for other combinations. Of course, the latter case really means that ##F_n## hits zero at some finite ##n## and so the fish population dies out completely and the problem ends; ##F_n## does not actually go to ##-\infty##.

11. Dec 18, 2016 #10
    By combine them, do you mean take a Fn+1 in the second equation as Fn+1 = Fn(1+0.014) - 119 and then try to solve for a and C?

12. Dec 18, 2016 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I assumed it was intended that:

13. Dec 18, 2016 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. You will have one equation with two unknowns, but remember that the equation has to be true for all Fn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted