1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am wondering if someone could give me some insight on how the following infinite series was derived:

[tex] P_e = \sum_{-\infty}^\infty (1/2)^{2|n|} = -1 + 2 \sum_{n=0}^\infty (1/2)^{2n} = 5/3 [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    See above

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the -1 comes when n = 0 and the 2 before the sum is because the absolute value of n makes the result symetrical around 0. That is why one can make the sum from 0 to infinity and multiply by 2. Right??
    The second sumation must be equal to 4/3. Right? I guess my real question then is how do you find the closed form of this infinite series?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

Can you do this one?

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n[/tex]
  4. Sep 27, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, the "-1" comes from the fact that when n= 0, [itex](1/2)^{2|n|}[/itex] is equal to 1. Since you are multiplying the sum, from 0 to infinity, by 2, you are getting that twice and need to subract off one.
  5. Sep 27, 2007 #4
    Yes, that is equal to 1/(1- 1/2) or 2
  6. Sep 28, 2007 #5

Science Advisor

It is if x=1/2. What is it for general x? Then, what value of x applies to your problem? (Hint: it's not 1/2.)
  7. Sep 28, 2007 #6
    general x is x^2 and my x is 1/4 so 1/(1-1/4) is 4/3. All right! Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?