Help with Series and Binomial Relativity Problems

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with two series problems, one involving a binomial series and the other involving a double factorial. They are given resources to help them understand the concept and are able to solve the problems with the help of others. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of the Gamma function and the approximation of total energy using the first two terms of the series.
Elkay
I need help with 2 series problems:

http://fantasyland.250free.com/Series.jpg I was able to solve part a, but I don't understand part b or part c.

http://fantasyland.250free.com/binomial_relativity.jpg I don't get this one at all.

Any help would be appreicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elkay said:
I was able to solve part a, but I don't understand part b
Replace the function with the series and truncate it.

Elkay said:
or part c.
Sorry, I forgot how to do this.

Elkay said:
http://fantasyland.250free.com/binomial_relativity.jpg I don't get this one at all.
Binomial series is a series for expressions of the form:

(1+x)n/2

where n is an integer and x < 1 if n is odd. Sorry, I don't remember what the series is. Identify what x and n are in the problem (hint: they give the expression to you in the desired form, so all you need to do is make these two identifications). Then, look up the binomial expansion and fill in the blanks.

Thanks Turin. It took a while, but I was able to figure out part b, and I think I figured out how to do part c from the first question (dunno if it's right or not).

I'm still trying to figure out http://fantasyland.250free.com/binomial_relativity.jpg though... If m and c are constants, then x would have to be v. I'm not sure what n should be. :frown:

Thanks Cookiemonster. After reviewing my textbook and that site for about an hour, I understand a little bit better, but I still have questions (sorry for being such a pest).

I don't understand why the series should be expanded to only two terms. Is there something there that says to do that?

Is it even possible to take the factoral of a negative number? If so, what is the value? (equation 6 when k=0)

You only keep the first two terms because those are the only significant ones for small v. Notice that each additional term increases the order of v by 2, so if v is something like .01c, v^4 or v^8 is next to nothing. That being said, in this case you're keeping only two because that's what the problem asked for. =]

Yes, it's possible to take the factorial of a negative. Well, sort of. Just not the negative integers. The Gamma function is the generalized form of the factorial. It has the property that [itex]\Gamma (n + 1) = n \Gamma (n)[/itex] and [itex]\Gamma (1) = 1[/itex], so if you apply that repeatedly you see that [itex]\Gamma (n + 1) = n! [/itex] for integer values of n.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GammaFunction.html

cookiemonster

Sorry, but that gamma function just confused me even more... Would it be okay to set k=1 instead of beginning with 0 in order to avoid (-1)! in the numerator?

Also, shouldn't equations 6 and 7 create an alternating series? That site lists all terms in the series as being positive... When I attempted to expand the series for http://fantasyland.250free.com/binomial_relativity.jpg, the terms were both positive and negative. :confused:

Those are double factorials in eqs. (6) & (7). They are not nested factorials. That probably confused the hell out of you. I know it confused the hell out of me the first time I saw them. Basically, the double factorial is like the factorial missing every other factor. If I remember correctly, it goes something like:

(2k-1)! = (2k-1)(2k-3)(2k-5)...

but certainly NOT:

(2k-1)! /= ((2k-1)!)! /= ((2k-1)(2k-2)(2k-3)...)!

Actually, just use the eq. (7) part, since it takes you to the required order anyway. All you have to do at that point is put in the appropriate value for x, which, incidently, is NOT v.

Here's a link to the double factorial:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DoubleFactorial.html

Last edited:
Yeah, the double factoral did confuse me a bit, but I think I understand it now.

So if x is not v, then is this true? [tex]x=\frac{-v^2}{c^2}[/tex]

After expanding the binomial, I'm also not sure how to show that
[tex]mc^2 \approx m_{0}c^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_{0}v^2 [/tex]

Elkay said:
So if x is not v, then is this true? [tex]x=\frac{-v^2}{c^2}[/tex]
Almost. Be careful when you make the identification to use eqs. (6) & (7) on that website, and not the exact form that I gave you in my first post. There is one subtle difference.

Elkay said:
After expanding the binomial, I'm also not sure how to show that
[tex]mc^2 \approx m_{0}c^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_{0}v^2 [/tex]
Well, what do you get when you expand, then? Don't forget to multiply both sides by c2

OMG! It just dawned on me to substitute the first two terms from the series into that total energy equation and simplify.

I feel like an idiot for not getting this sooner. Turin and Cookiemonster, Thank you so much for all your help! :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is a series in mathematics?

A series in mathematics is a sum of terms that follow a specific pattern. Each term in the series is added together to get a total value. Series are commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to solve problems and make predictions.

2. How is a binomial related to a series?

A binomial is a mathematical expression that consists of two terms, connected by the operations of addition or subtraction. A binomial can be written as a series by expanding it using the binomial theorem. This allows us to find the values of the terms in the binomial for different values of a variable, making it useful for solving problems involving multiple variables.

3. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula used to expand binomials into a series. It states that for any positive integer n, the nth power of a binomial can be expanded into a series of terms using the coefficients from Pascal's triangle. This theorem is useful in solving problems involving binomials and their variables.

4. How is relativity related to series and binomials?

Relativity, a theory developed by Albert Einstein, is a concept in physics that explains how time, space, and gravity are related. In mathematics, series and binomials are often used to model and calculate the effects of relativity in various situations. For example, series can be used to calculate the expansion of space-time in an expanding universe, and binomials can be used to calculate the gravitational potential between two objects.

5. What are some common applications of series and binomials in science?

Series and binomials have many applications in science, including in physics, chemistry, and biology. They are used to model and solve problems related to relativity, probability, population growth, chemical reactions, and more. In physics, series are used to calculate the behavior of waves and electric circuits, while binomials are used to calculate the position and velocity of objects in motion. In chemistry, binomials are used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in chemical reactions. In biology, series are used to model population growth and the spread of diseases.