1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series

1. Aug 3, 2008 #1
    I am getting into this topic and I am having a hard time conceptualizing it. Is there anybody that can spend a minute letting me know the "reality" to infinite series? By that I mean, please explain infinite series in such a way that a beginner like me will be able to take what you said and apply it to home work problems. Thanks and if I am asking too much I understand because this is a deep topic

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know what you mean by reality. However a simple example is:

1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 +1/16 + etc. where you never stop. As a result it adds up to 2.

4. Aug 3, 2008 #3
    You can think of this as taking half a step as you did last step. Your first step is of 1 unit, so next step is 1/2, next one 1/4 and so on. The question is how much distance can you travel using this method and that is 2. You cannot exceed 2 units of distance by using this mode of transportation.

5. Aug 4, 2008 #4
    [tex]
    T_n = ar^{n-1}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    r < 1
    [/tex]

[tex]
    S_n = \frac{a(1-r^n)}{1-r}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    n \rightarrow \infty
    [/tex]

[tex]
    r^n \rightarrow 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    S_\infty = \frac{a}{1-r}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?