Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Infinite Series

1. Nov 27, 2008 #1
    Concept question:

What are they used for? I understand functions used for position/time/velocity etc., but what are infinite series actually used for?

Are they just a sum of numbers with no application? I'd like to know what I'm devoting my brainpower to before I spend massive amounts of time understanding their behavior and solution methods.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A concrete application is how calculators are able to calculate such functions as sin, cos, and so on. They don't actually add up the terms in an infinite series, but use a lookup table that has values computed from one kind of infinite series.

A series offers a way to calculate functions that would be very difficult to work with otherwise, using only ordinary addition operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide), which can be done very quickly in a calculator or on a computer.

4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    Haha wow man, I never thought of that. They're like a doorway to the more complex functions. I also read that Newton used to use sequences and just integrate them at a point.

Thanks for the info

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook