1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Series

1. Nov 27, 2008 #1
    Concept question:

What are they used for? I understand functions used for position/time/velocity etc., but what are infinite series actually used for?

Are they just a sum of numbers with no application? I'd like to know what I'm devoting my brainpower to before I spend massive amounts of time understanding their behavior and solution methods.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

A concrete application is how calculators are able to calculate such functions as sin, cos, and so on. They don't actually add up the terms in an infinite series, but use a lookup table that has values computed from one kind of infinite series.

A series offers a way to calculate functions that would be very difficult to work with otherwise, using only ordinary addition operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide), which can be done very quickly in a calculator or on a computer.
  4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    Haha wow man, I never thought of that. They're like a doorway to the more complex functions. I also read that Newton used to use sequences and just integrate them at a point.

Thanks for the info
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?