1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the sum of the following series.

SUM (n=1 to inf) -3^(n-1)/(8^n)

2. Relevant equations

Possibly fit into ar^n format?

3. The attempt at a solution[/b

I feel there is a way that this fits into a geometric form in which case could use a/(1-r) to find the infinite sum. I'm having trouble manipulating to fit into ar^n format when there are a couple powers of n in the general form.
    Can the scalar 'a' value have an exponent in it? I guess not then it would be an exponential not a scalar
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    Your notation is ambiguous: do you mean [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty -\frac{3^{n-1}}{8^n}[/tex] or [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-3)^{n-1}}{8^n}[/tex] ?

Either way, you should try to find a way to split this fraction into [tex]\left(\frac{a}{b}\right) \cdot \left(\frac{c}{d}\right)^n[/tex]. Then you will be able to apply the formula for the sum of a geometric series. You have the right idea; you just need to get the manipulations right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook