Infinite Series: Convergence & Sum of $\frac{1}{n(n+k)}$

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence and sum of the series \sum\frac{1}{n(n+k)} from n=1 to infinity. The participants explore using partial fractions to show convergence and mention a related series \sum{\frac{k}{n(n+k)}}. They also consider the property of series that states \sum (a-b)=\sum a - \sum b and question how the difference between a divergent series and a convergent (or divergent) series can result in a convergent series. It is pointed out that this property is only applicable when both sequences are convergent.
godtripp
[tex]\sum\frac{1}{n(n+k)}[/tex] from n=1 to infinity

find that the series is convergent and find it's sum.

Now I'm a bit confused... I can show it's convergent with k=1
and I attempted the same thing with k by breaking this into partial fractions. But I'm given a harmonic series that is divergent minus another divergent series... how can this be convergent?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let's look at the series [tex]\sum{\frac{k}{n(n+k)}[/tex] instead. You are probably aware that you can split this in partial fractions:

[tex]\frac{k}{n(n+k)}=\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+k}[/tex]

Now it's not immediately clear what happens if you sum the above series. Try taking k=2 and write 10 terms of the above series. You will see that a lot of terms vanish. This will give you an idea for the general proof...

Thank you micromass, I'll try expanding that out as soon as I get home. I'm sure it'll telescope out... there is one thing driving me nuts however.

[tex]\sum 1/n[/tex] is a harmonic series... which is divergent.

I'm not sure about [tex]\sum 1/(n+k)[/tex]

since series have the property that [tex]\sum (a-b)[/tex]=[tex]\sum a[/tex] - [tex]\sum b[/tex]

how is it that the difference between a divergent series and a convergent (or divergent series) results in a convergent series?

Well, for one thing, the series [tex]\sum{\frac{1}{n+k}}[/tex] is divergent.

But that aside, you state the equality

[tex]\sum(a_n-b_n)=\sum a_n - \sum b_n [/tex]

This statement is INCORRECT. This is only correct is both sequences are convergent. Thus this equality is not applicable in this case.

Thank you!

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is expressed in the form of a_n + a_n+1 + a_n+2 + ..., where a_n is the n-th term of the series.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges?

There are several methods for determining the convergence of an infinite series, including the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known series with known convergence properties.

3. What does it mean for an infinite series to diverge?

If an infinite series does not have a finite sum, it is said to diverge. This means that the series either approaches infinity or oscillates between positive and negative values without converging to a specific value.

4. How does the value of k affect the convergence of the series $\frac{1}{n(n+k)}$?

The value of k affects the convergence of the series by changing the rate at which the terms approach zero. If k is a positive value, the series will converge more quickly, while a negative value of k will cause the series to converge more slowly. If k is equal to zero, the series becomes the well-known harmonic series, which diverges.

5. What is the sum of the infinite series $\frac{1}{n(n+k)}$?

The sum of an infinite series is the value that the series approaches as more and more terms are added. In the case of the series $\frac{1}{n(n+k)}$, the sum is equal to $\frac{k}{k+1}$, which can be found using the method of partial fractions.