Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Infinite series

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    Today we started on infinite series, I'm getting the material just fine and able to do most of the problems, but one is giving me problems.

[tex]\lim_{n\to{a}} 2n/\sqrt{n^2+1}[/tex]

I recognized that [tex]\infty/\infty[/tex] so I can use L'Hopital's rule. So taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator I get.

[tex]\frac{d}{dn} 2n = 2[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{d}{dn} \sqrt{n^2+1} = \frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}[/tex]

Somehow the solutions manual is getting
    [tex]2/\sqrt{1+(1/n^2)}[/tex]

and a final answer of 2.

I can't see how they turned what I get for the derivative in the denominator into what they use. L'Hopital's rule twice would get rid of the n on top and put a 2 there, but that wouldn't change the square root.

thanks for any help

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Simply divide the numerator and the denominator by n. You get:
    [tex]\frac{2n}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{1+1/n^2}}[/tex]
    I'd advise against using l'hospitals rule. Although it may be valid to use in some cases, you generally have to show it actually is.
    In this case, n is restricted to integer values so the derivative doesn't exist.

4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the help,

Could you go through a little of the algebra in the denominator, it's still not making sense to me how it's actually done. What property allows you to divide the radical by n and come up with that?

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4
    Doh, nevermind, it popped into my head as I was taking a shower. Thanks again.

6. Nov 4, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

By the way, in mathematics, there is a technical difference between "sequences" and "series". What you are dealing with here are "series", not "sequences".

7. Nov 4, 2004 #6

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Haha, not the other way around? :tongue2:
    Don't confuse them indeed. :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook