1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    Today we started on infinite series, I'm getting the material just fine and able to do most of the problems, but one is giving me problems.

[tex]\lim_{n\to{a}} 2n/\sqrt{n^2+1}[/tex]

I recognized that [tex]\infty/\infty[/tex] so I can use L'Hopital's rule. So taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator I get.

[tex]\frac{d}{dn} 2n = 2[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{dn} \sqrt{n^2+1} = \frac{n}{\sqrt{n^2+1}}[/tex]

Somehow the solutions manual is getting

and a final answer of 2.

I can't see how they turned what I get for the derivative in the denominator into what they use. L'Hopital's rule twice would get rid of the n on top and put a 2 there, but that wouldn't change the square root.

thanks for any help
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Simply divide the numerator and the denominator by n. You get:
    I'd advise against using l'hospitals rule. Although it may be valid to use in some cases, you generally have to show it actually is.
    In this case, n is restricted to integer values so the derivative doesn't exist.
  4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the help,

Could you go through a little of the algebra in the denominator, it's still not making sense to me how it's actually done. What property allows you to divide the radical by n and come up with that?
  5. Nov 4, 2004 #4
    Doh, nevermind, it popped into my head as I was taking a shower. Thanks again.
  6. Nov 4, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, in mathematics, there is a technical difference between "sequences" and "series". What you are dealing with here are "series", not "sequences".
  7. Nov 4, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Haha, not the other way around? :tongue2:
    Don't confuse them indeed. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?