Exploring the Properties of Coprimes Generated by a Simple Function

In summary, an infinite set of coprimes exists, but only those prime numbers that are the result of a certain equation.
kureta
[SOLVED] infinite set of coprimes

does anyone know an infinite set of coprimes except for the elements of sylvester's sequence. S(n)=S(n-1)*(S(n-1)-1)+1, with s(0)=2

Physics news on Phys.org
The primes, maybe? :P

yesss

yes. thanks but... well... nevermind:rolleyes:

The primes = 1 mod 4? The noncomposites? {2*3, 5*7, 11*13, 17*19, ...}?

then i should change my question

does anyone know such a set AND its defining formula which gives us the nth term.

kureta said:
does anyone know such a set AND its defining formula which gives us the nth term.

The primes have many defining formulas, a fair number of which use only basic operations (say, addition, multiplication, factorials, and sine). To what end do you want this?

I don't have a reference to hand, but you can consider things like 2^n - 1. Indeed that is one proof that there are infintitely many primes.

Note 2^n - 1 = 2*(2^{n-1} -1) + 1, proving that they are coprime.

2^2-1=3 and 2^4-1=15 and 15/3=5 so they are not all coprimes am i wrong?

Sorry, my mistake - consecutive terms are coprime, not every term. Duh. But there is something to do with things like this that demonstrates infinitely many primes by producing coprimes. I don't have the reference to hand (I read it in 'Proofs from the Book' by Aigner and Ziegler).

kureta said:
a(n) = 5*2^(2n) +5*2^n + 1 is my guess. Prove or disprove
One thing that is certain, they can only be divisible by a prime ending in 1 or 9

ramsey2879 said:
a(n) = 5*2^(2n) +5*2^n + 1 is my guess. Prove or disprove
One thing that is certain, they can only be divisible by a prime ending in 1 or 9
Forget this too, If n = 8 2^n equals 9 and 2^2n = 4 mod 11.
5*(4+9) + 1 = 66. also there are other powers of 2 with the same residue mod 11 so those values for n give a(n) which are not coprime.
Maybe take n to be prime for the n in a(n) or something similar.

ramsey2879 you're the man

ramsey2879 your reply was the kind that i was looking for. thanks. but taking n to be prime makes this formula useless for me. because my purpose is to find a set of coprimes generated by a simple function . and you should see "a different approach to primes" thread for the reason of my asking for such a set.

What is an infinite set of coprimes?

An infinite set of coprimes is a collection of numbers that have no common factors other than 1. This means that the greatest common divisor (GCD) of any two numbers in the set is 1.

How is an infinite set of coprimes different from a finite set of coprimes?

An infinite set of coprimes contains an infinite number of numbers, while a finite set of coprimes only contains a specific number of numbers. Additionally, an infinite set of coprimes is not bounded, meaning there is no largest number in the set.

What are some examples of infinite sets of coprimes?

Some examples of infinite sets of coprimes include the set of all prime numbers, the set of all odd numbers, and the set of all Fibonacci numbers. These sets contain an infinite number of numbers that have no common factors other than 1.

What is the significance of an infinite set of coprimes?

Infinite sets of coprimes have many applications in number theory and cryptography. They are also used in various mathematical proofs and can help to demonstrate the properties of prime numbers and their distribution.

How can infinite sets of coprimes be generated?

Infinite sets of coprimes can be generated using various methods, such as the Euclidean algorithm or the Sieve of Eratosthenes. These methods involve finding numbers that have no common factors and using them to generate an infinite set of coprimes.