Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite square well energy

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    Hi

I have attached my attempt of solving the infinite square well for Energy. The value I get is different from that of the book, also in the attachment,
    Kindly explain if my answer is correct given the fact that I proceeded step by step and used no tricks.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

You assumed the solution is of the form ψ = cos kx. There are also solutions of the form ψ = sin kx.

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3
    yes, but as you see in the excerpt of the book, they have proved that the the given E holds for cos(kx) too

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4
    I think my solution wrong because I have taken k*a/2 = (n+ 0.5)*pi
    For the given situation, for x=a/2 for cos((n+ 0.5)*pi*x)=0 is only possible if n=0, but we are taking n>0.

6. Nov 16, 2012 #5
    If we were taking n>=0 then my solution was right.

7. Nov 16, 2012 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The sine and cosine solutions should alternate with n. The ground state is a cosine, the next higher state is a sine, the next one is a cosine, etc.

If you put the walls of the box at x = 0 and x = a, it's easier because all the solutions are sines.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  8. Nov 16, 2012 #7
    I do not understand what you said jtbell

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook