What is the Time Dependent of a Particle in an Infinite Square Well Potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle of mass m in the ground state of an infinite square well potential with width L/2. The question is posed about the probability of detecting the particle at x=L/4 within a range of \Deltax=0.01L without integrating. The conversation then delves into finding an approximation for the integral and the expectation values of energy <E>. The conversation then moves on to discuss the switch to a new infinite square well potential with width L and the probability of measuring a specific energy after the switch. The conclusion is that the state remains a stationary state, but it is not the ground state for the new well.
Fourier mn

Homework Statement

consider a particle of mass m in the ground state of an infinite square well potential width L/2. What is the probability of detecting the particle at x=L/4 in a range of [tex]\Delta[/tex]x=0.01L (d not integrate)? Assume that the particle is in the normalized state [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,0)=c1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1+c2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2, what is the time dependent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Help, i don't know from where to start even...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you WERE allowed to integrate to get the probability, would you know what to do?

i would integrate the wavefunction (multiplied by its complex part) to find <x> and <x^2>, and then use the uncertainty. isn't <x> always zero though?

Close, but not quite. If you wanted to know the probability of finding the particle between [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\Delta x[/tex] you would get it from
[tex]P = \int_x^{x+\Delta x} \Psi^* \Psi dx[/tex].
Now think about what a definite integral "means" and find an approximation to the integral if [tex]\Delta x[/tex] is really small. Maybe drawing a picture would help. You do not have to integrate.

So I need from 0 to L/4 in increments of 0.01L, if delta x is really small isn't just going to be the wavefunction multiplied by itself with x=L/4. I mean i know that a definite integral is the area under the curve, maybe just the function where x=L/4 multiplied by 0.01L?

You're very close. But your not interested in the particle between 0 and L/4. You are interested in a small interval AROUND L/4. Catch my drift?

delta and expsilon? ===>limit?

Wait!. I should've read your reply to the end. Your last statement
"maybe just the function where x=L/4 multiplied by 0.01L?"
is 99 percent right. Just use the probability AMPLITUDE instead of the wavefunction itself.

ohhh...thanks. I've already started taking the limit...lol. I'll do that instead

so for the first part i got 0.04 (4%), and the second part is just an infinite series.
now, I'm asked to find the expectation values of energy <E>. Is that just--
<E>=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\Psi(x,t)*[/tex][tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex][tex]H[/tex]dx?

yep!

actually I got 8% on the first part. for the second part i got <E>=E.
Another question- "now that the wave function returned to the ground state. at t=0 the well suddenly changes to an infinite square well of width L without affecting the wave function. find the probability that a measurement of energy right after the expansion will yield E=(h bar*Pi)^2/(2mL^2)?

Isnt it a stationary state===> thus the probability never changes and stays 1?

It is in a stationary state for the OLD well. The NEW well has different stationary states. You have to write your state as a linear combo of the NEW stationary states.

but it states in the question that the width changes without affecting the wave function

Right. But when the width changes, you have NEW eigenfunctions (i.e. stationary states). So your old state is no longer one of the stationary states for the new problem.

<E>=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]C^2nEn
where [tex]\Sigma[/tex]C^2n=1
P1=C^21=1, thus, the probability of E didnt change b/c the expectation value of E didnt change.

You can't tell much about the probability from the expectation value. They aren't really related.

Ok. You are partly right. It seems to me that the state IS still a stationary state, but now it is NOT the ground state anymore. The state corresponds to an eigenvalue that is not the one for n=1.

I don't know why the heck my last reply didn't show up.
It turns out that your state is actually a stationary state (even after the expansion), but the catch is that it is not the "ground" state for the new well. You diggin' what I'm buryin'?

lol...got it. Thanks. Why your earlier replies didnt show up? weird

Actually, I just didn't know to go to page 2. All my replies are there :)
You got it! That's great. Good job.

1. What is an infinite square well in quantum mechanics?

An infinite square well is a hypothetical system used in quantum mechanics to model the behavior of a particle confined within a potential well with infinitely high walls. It is often used as a simplified model to study the properties of quantum systems.

2. What is the significance of the infinite square well in quantum mechanics?

The infinite square well is a basic model that allows us to study the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and the quantization of energy. It also serves as a building block for more complex systems and can help us understand the behavior of real-world quantum systems.

3. How do you solve the Schrödinger equation for an infinite square well?

The Schrödinger equation for an infinite square well can be solved using the separation of variables method. This involves dividing the equation into two parts, one for the spatial dependence and one for the time dependence, and then solving each part separately using appropriate boundary conditions.

4. What are the allowed energy levels for a particle in an infinite square well?

The allowed energy levels for a particle in an infinite square well are given by the equation En = (n^2 * h^2)/(8mL^2), where n is a positive integer, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the length of the well. This means that the energy levels are quantized and can only take on discrete values.

5. How does the particle's wave function behave at the boundaries of an infinite square well?

At the boundaries of an infinite square well, the particle's wave function must be equal to zero. This is because the potential is infinite at these points, so the particle cannot exist outside of the well. This boundary condition helps determine the allowed energy levels and the shape of the particle's wave function within the well.