Should the Normalization Constant be Positive or Complex?

In summary: So A is always just the magnitude of the normalization constant.Also why does A only represent the magnitude? Where does this appear from?A comes from the fact that the wave function is a complex quantity. That is, the wave function has acomponent which is real and a component which is imaginary. When we integrate over all space and time, we get a real number, which is what A represents.
kmm
In finding solutions to the time independent Schrodinger equation we have to normalize [itex] \psi [/itex] to find the constant A. So we get [tex] \int_{0}^{a} |A|^{2} sin^{2}(kx) dx = |A|^2 \frac{a}{2}=1 [/tex]

For A we then get [itex] |A|^2 = \frac{2}{a} [/itex]. Griffiths says that this only determines the magnitude of A but it's simplest to pick the positive real root. I know how to work with complex numbers generally but I'm a little confused as to what the imaginary root would be anyway. It looks to me like [itex] A= \pm \sqrt{ \frac{2}{a} } [/itex]. Since we aren't square rooting a negative I don't see where the [itex] i [/itex] comes in. Also, I know the magnitude of a complex number is real, so are we saying that A itself could be complex? I don't want to make any assumptions about this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have thought it right, 'A' can be complex indeed. In fact, [tex]A=\sqrt\frac 2 a\,e^{i\phi}[/tex] satisfies the the normalization constraint for any real \phi. Mind that the phase of the wave function is arbitrary.

Likes 1 person
csopi said:
You have thought it right, 'A' can be complex indeed. In fact, [tex]A=\sqrt\frac 2 a\,e^{i\phi}[/tex] satisfies the the normalization constraint for any real \phi. Mind that the phase of the wave function is arbitrary.

Cool, thanks!

I was passing here by coincidence, and after reading the post I had few questions indeed:
If A is just the magnitude of the normalization constant, then will it differ if we took the complex complete part ? I mean, why do we always take the positive part?

Also why does A only represent the magnitude? Where does this appear from?
I always solve the particle in a box case taking the solution of A as granted without noticing that it is just a magnitude !

I was passing here by coincidence, and after reading the post I had few questions indeed:
If A is just the magnitude of the normalization constant, then will it differ if we took the complex complete part ? I mean, why do we always take the positive part?

Also why does A only represent the magnitude? Where does this appear from?
I always solve the particle in a box case taking the solution of A as granted without noticing that it is just a magnitude !
A is a constant that we have added after integration Sorry I do not mean added in the sense of + but more in the sense of incoperated in our equation!

Here is the equation:

We start of with:

1=∫ abs(psi(x))^2 dx

substitute psi(a)= A sin((npix)/a))

1=abs(A)^2∫ abs( sin((npix)/a)))^2 dx

so A=(2/a)^1/2

where I have simply replaced the k of in the top most post with sinnpi/a

Ibrahim Hany said:

Strictly speaking, the normalization constant can be as csopi noted, letting ##\sqrt{2/a}## be real and using any value for φ. However, when you use the wave function to calculate anything that is physically observable (e.g. a probability or an expectation value), φ always cancels out. Therefore, for simplicity, we usually choose φ = 0.

What is the infinite square well solution?

The infinite square well solution is a mathematical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional potential well with infinite potential walls at either end.

What are the assumptions of the infinite square well solution?

The infinite square well solution assumes that the walls of the potential well are infinitely high and that the particle is confined to a specific region inside the well. It also assumes that there are no external forces acting on the particle.

What is the wave function in the infinite square well solution?

The wave function in the infinite square well solution is a function that describes the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a certain position inside the potential well. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation and is a complex-valued function.

What is the energy spectrum in the infinite square well solution?

The energy spectrum in the infinite square well solution is discrete, meaning that the particle can only have certain energy levels inside the potential well. These energy levels are determined by the size of the well and are given by the equation E = n²h²/8mL², where n is the quantum number, h is the Planck constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the length of the well.

What are the applications of the infinite square well solution?

The infinite square well solution has applications in various fields, including quantum mechanics, solid-state physics, and atomic physics. It is used to model the behavior of particles in confined systems and can also be used to study the properties of materials and electronic devices.