1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite square well transitions

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle, mass m propagates freely in a box, length L. The energy states are:

ϕ_n(x) = (2/L)^(1/2)sin(n∏x/L)

and energies E_n = n^2∏^2/(2mL^2)

at time t=0 the system is in state ϕ_1 and the perturbation V=kx is applied (k constant) and turned off at t=T.

1) Calculate the transition amplitude to the state ϕ_2 to 1st order in perturbation theory
    2)Calculate the transition probability, p_21.
    3)Calculate the maximum value of p_21.

2. Relevant equations

Transition amplitude, T_fi = -i ∫ ϕ*_f V ϕ_i d^4x
    = -i ∫(-T/2 to T/2)∫(-T/2 to T/2)∫ [ϕ_f exp(-iE_f t)]* V [ϕ_i exp(-iE_i t)] dx dt

where V = V_fi = ∫

3. The attempt at a solution

1) T_12 = -i ∫ ϕ*_f V ϕ_i d^4x
    = -i ∫(-T/2 to T/2)∫ [ϕ_2 exp(-iE_2 t)]* V(x) [ϕ_1 exp(-iE_1 t)] dx dt
    = -i ∫ (2/L) sin(2∏x/L) kx sin(∏x/L) dx ∫(-T/2 to T/2) [ϕ_i expi(E_f-E_i)t] dt
    using E_f-E_i = E_2-E_1 = 3∏^2/(2mL^2)
    = 16ikL/(9∏^2) [exp(i 3∏^2/(2mL^2))-exp(-i 3∏^2/(2mL^2))] (2mL^2)/(3∏^2)) |(-T/2 to T/2)
    =64ikmL^3/(27x^4) sin (T 3∏^2/(2mL^2) )

and so the transition probability, p= |T_21|^2 = |64ikmL^3/(27x^4)|^2 sin^2 (T 3∏^2/(2mL^2) )

and so p= |T_21|^2 has maximum values when T = integer 2kmL^2/(3∏)

Does this seem like the correct way of doing this problem / a reasonable result? It feels like I have done it the wrong way but I can't think of how else to do it.

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It appears to me that your method is correct. You decided to integrate over time between -T/2 and T/2 rather than 0 to T. I think that's OK since your potential function V is time independent, but it seems more natural to me to integrate from 0 to T since the perturbation is switched on at t = 0 and switched off at t = T.

Note that the probability cannot depend on the variable x, so this expression is incorrect (maybe just a typographical error). Also, if I'm not mistaken, I believe your argument of the sin function is off by a factor of 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted