Solving Infinite Square Well: Find Probability of Electron in 0.15nm

In summary: It's just a different way of looking at the problem, but the results should be the same.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the probability of finding an electron within 0.15nm of the center of a 1.00nm wide rigid box. The integral solution gives a probability of 4.2%, which is compared to the expected classical value of 30%. The discrepancy is due to using the wrong wave function or limits in the integral. The conversation also mentions using LaTeX to format equations.
khemist

Homework Statement

An electron is trapped in a 1.00 nm wide rigid box. Determine the probability of finding the electron within 0.15nm of the center of the box (on either side of the center) for a) n = 1

Homework Equations

Int[-0.15nm, 0.15nm] psi^2 dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the integral fairly easily, but I got a value of 4.2% for my probability. Later in the question, it asks to compare this value to the expected value classically. Classically, in a 1nm wide box over a distance .3nm one would expect the probability to be 30%. Does this seem to make any sense? I talked to my teacher and he thought the values came out a little weird.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got about 56% for the probability. I suspect you're using the wrong combination of wave function and limits. Show us your calculations in detail if you can't figure it out.

My limits were from -0.15nm to 0.15nm. L = 1.00 nm.

psi = root(2/L)sin(nx(pi)/L)

psi^2 = 2/L sin^2(nx(pi)/L)

My solution to the integral (using -a = -.015nm and a = 0.15nm) was 2/L(x/2 (from -a to a) - L/(2n(pi))sin(2nx(pi)/L)) from -a to a. (the a/2 and other side of the minus sign were separate integrals, using the (1-cos2x)/2 = sin^2(x))

Also, does anyone have a link to I can learn how to type this up using latex or whatever language to have formal equations written?

Last edited:
Your wave function is for a potential which is zero between x=0 and x=L. You either need to change the limits on your integral, or use the wave function for the potential that's centered about x=0.

You can start with https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951 to see how to format equations using LaTeX in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the wave function I have, sqrt(2/L)sin(n(pi)x/L), is not centered about the origin? Would that mean I must compensate with a limit change?

Yup, or keep your current limits and use the wave function that is centered at the origin.

1. How do you define an Infinite Square Well potential?

An Infinite Square Well potential is a basic model used in quantum mechanics to represent a particle confined within a certain region of space. It is characterized by an infinitely high potential energy within the well and zero potential energy outside of the well.

2. What is the equation for finding the probability of an electron in a specific region within the Infinite Square Well?

The equation for finding the probability of an electron in a specific region within the Infinite Square Well is given by the wave function squared, ψ^2, integrated over the desired region. This can be written as P = ∫ψ^2dx, where P is the probability and dx represents the region of space.

3. How do you determine the wave function for an electron in the Infinite Square Well?

The wave function for an electron in the Infinite Square Well can be determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. This involves using boundary conditions to find the allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions that satisfy the equation.

4. What is the significance of the size of the region (0.15nm) when finding the probability of an electron in the Infinite Square Well?

The size of the region (0.15nm) is significant because it represents the specific location within the well where the probability of finding the electron is being calculated. The smaller the region, the more precise the measurement of the electron's position will be.

5. Can the probability of an electron in the Infinite Square Well be greater than 1?

No, the probability of an electron in the Infinite Square Well cannot be greater than 1. This is because the total probability of finding the electron within the well must be equal to 1, as the electron must be somewhere within the well at all times.