• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Infinite Square Well

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The wording of the question is throwing me off. It is a standard inf. pot. well problem and we are given the initial position of the particle to be in the left fourth of the box,

[itex]\Psi(x,0)=\sqrt{\frac{4}{a}}[/itex]

We are asked to a) write the expansion of the wave function in terms of energy eigenfunctions, b) explicitly compute the expansion coefficients, and c) give an expression for psi at later times.

Homework Equations

[itex]E_n=\frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I got b) and c) (I can show my work if necessary)

b) [itex]c_n=\frac{4\sqrt{2}}{n\pi}[/itex] for n= odd
[itex]c_n=0[/itex] for n= even

c) some long expression that I don't want to latex f I don't have to, but will if needed (on my phone :) )

But for a), I would think E_n would be the same as any inf. pot. well problem, wouldn't it? So
[itex]E_n=\frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}[/itex]. Is this right?

Answers and Replies

Like usual, writing it out on PF helped me solve the problem. At t=0, [itex]k_n=\frac{4n\pi}{a}[/itex] which allows the calculation of energy.

Thanks anyways

What did you get for part a) ?? I am stuck and I am confused what the first step should be. Thanks.

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Welcome to PF;
What did you get for part a) ?? I am stuck and I am confused what the first step should be. Thanks.
You will need to work out what ##\psi## (the initial position wavefunction) is from the description - show us what you got along with your reasoning.

For part (a) start with: $$\psi = \sum_n c_n\psi_n : \hat H\psi_n=E_n\psi_n$$ ... you should have notes for what each ##\psi_n## will be so you can look them up.

Last edited: