Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Infinite subset is dense

1. Sep 3, 2005 #1
    My problem is:

Consider an infinite set [itex]X[/itex] with the finite complement topology. I want to show that any infinite subset [itex]A[/itex] of [itex]X[/itex] is dense in [itex]X[/itex].

Now, I can show that every point of [itex]X[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]A[/itex].

Can this help me in any way to show that [itex]A[/itex] is dense in [itex]X[/itex]. Or could someone provide me with an alternative method.

By the way, my understanding of dense is that a subset of a set is dense if its closure coincides with the set.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me rephrase your question:

If every point of X is a limit point of A, then is A dense in X?

4. Sep 3, 2005 #3
    Yes, that is my question.

5. Sep 3, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what do the definitions say?

6. Sep 3, 2005 #5
    Wait a sec, if every point of X is a limit point of A, then A is dense in X!

7. Sep 3, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

SO, A is any infinite subset and you want to find the smallest closed set containing A. Since there are three kinds of closed set:

the empty set

a set containing a finite number of points

all of X

isn't the answer obvious? I mean, whichof those can contain A, given A is infinite?

8. Sep 3, 2005 #7
    is it all of X?

9. Sep 3, 2005 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, can you name a finite (or empty set) that contains an infinite subset?

10. Sep 3, 2005 #9
    nope, I can't.

So am I correct in thinking that by proving that every point of [itex]X[/itex] is the limit point of [itex]A[/itex], then [itex]A[/itex] is dense?

11. Sep 3, 2005 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is correct -- the point of my first post was to eliminate the unnecessary stuff, hoping you could see this when that's all that's left. :smile:

However, the approach matt has mentioned is a much easier way to do this problem... and is a fairly important theme to understand in general.

12. Sep 3, 2005 #11
    I agree, Matt's method was MUCH easier.

13. Sep 3, 2005 #12

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Once again- look at the DEFINITION of "dense"!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook