1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite subset is dense

1. Sep 3, 2005 #1
    My problem is:

Consider an infinite set [itex]X[/itex] with the finite complement topology. I want to show that any infinite subset [itex]A[/itex] of [itex]X[/itex] is dense in [itex]X[/itex].

Now, I can show that every point of [itex]X[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]A[/itex].

Can this help me in any way to show that [itex]A[/itex] is dense in [itex]X[/itex]. Or could someone provide me with an alternative method.

By the way, my understanding of dense is that a subset of a set is dense if its closure coincides with the set.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me rephrase your question:

If every point of X is a limit point of A, then is A dense in X?

4. Sep 3, 2005 #3
    Yes, that is my question.

5. Sep 3, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what do the definitions say?

6. Sep 3, 2005 #5
    Wait a sec, if every point of X is a limit point of A, then A is dense in X!

7. Sep 3, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

SO, A is any infinite subset and you want to find the smallest closed set containing A. Since there are three kinds of closed set:

the empty set

a set containing a finite number of points

all of X

isn't the answer obvious? I mean, whichof those can contain A, given A is infinite?

8. Sep 3, 2005 #7
    is it all of X?

9. Sep 3, 2005 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, can you name a finite (or empty set) that contains an infinite subset?

10. Sep 3, 2005 #9
    nope, I can't.

So am I correct in thinking that by proving that every point of [itex]X[/itex] is the limit point of [itex]A[/itex], then [itex]A[/itex] is dense?

11. Sep 3, 2005 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is correct -- the point of my first post was to eliminate the unnecessary stuff, hoping you could see this when that's all that's left. :smile:

However, the approach matt has mentioned is a much easier way to do this problem... and is a fairly important theme to understand in general.

12. Sep 3, 2005 #11
    I agree, Matt's method was MUCH easier.

13. Sep 3, 2005 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Once again- look at the DEFINITION of "dense"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?