Finding a Closed Expression for an Infinite Sum with Positive Variables

These expressions may involve infinite sums or integrals. Overall, finding a closed expression for this infinite sum is a challenging problem that requires advanced techniques from mathematical analysis. In summary, the infinite sum \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+x_1 y}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+x_2 y}}\right), where both x_i and y are greater than 0, is not expressible in terms of standard mathematical functions and requires advanced techniques to find a closed expression.
al2521300
1. I want to find a close expression for the following infinite sum

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+x_1 y}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2+x_2 y}}\right)[/tex]

Both [tex]x_i[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] are greater than 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't got much really. I realize each sum independently is divergent, but together they would be convergent. I just don't know how to extract the convergent part into a closed expression. I try doing a power expansion for y around 0 and reach

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}-\frac{\sqrt{\pi}Zeta(1+2n)(x_1^n-x_2^n)y^n}{\Gamma(\frac{1}{2}-n)\Gamma(1+n)n!} [/tex]

but this is not much of an improvement over the original expression. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sum is not expressible in terms of standard mathematical functions. However, it can be expressed in terms of special functions such as the Hurwitz zeta function, the hypergeometric function, or the generalized hypergeometric function.

1. What is an Infinite Sum Question?

An Infinite Sum Question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. This means that the sequence does not have an end and continues indefinitely.

2. How do you solve an Infinite Sum Question?

The method for solving an Infinite Sum Question depends on the specific sequence given. In some cases, the sequence may have a pattern that allows for a formula to be used. In other cases, the sum may need to be approximated using a partial sum or a limit.

3. What is the significance of Infinite Sum Questions?

Infinite Sum Questions have practical applications in various fields of science and technology, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They also have theoretical importance in mathematics and are used to explore the properties of infinite sequences and series.

4. Can an Infinite Sum Question have a finite answer?

Yes, an Infinite Sum Question can have a finite answer if the sequence has a finite number of terms or if the sum can be approximated using a limit. However, in most cases, the sum of an infinite sequence is infinite or undefined.

5. What is the difference between an Infinite Sum Question and an Infinite Series?

An Infinite Sum Question refers to the problem of finding the sum of an infinite sequence, while an Infinite Series refers to the sum of the terms in an infinite sequence. In other words, an Infinite Series is the result of solving an Infinite Sum Question.