1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Sum

1. Mar 19, 2006 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm trying to figure out how to do this sum and not sure where to start:

[tex] \sum_{n = -\infty}^{-1} \left(\frac{1}{2}e^{-j \omega} \right)^n [/tex]

I tried rewriting it like this:

[tex] \sum_{m = 1}^{\infty} (2e^{j \omega})^m [/tex]

m = -n

but I'm not sure if that helps.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

What are j and omega? Unless I'm missing something you have an infinite power series with ratio r = 2e^(j * omega) whose sum can be found by the formula r/(1-r).

4. Mar 19, 2006 #3
    That will work provided that (j*omega) < ln(1/2) because in order for an infinite geometric series to converge the common ratio must be less than 1.

5. Mar 19, 2006 #4

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

True.
    whitespace

6. Mar 19, 2006 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tsk tsk. You guys don't instantly recognize the combination jω?

[tex] j = \sqrt{-1} [/tex]

I know I know. Those crazy electrical engineers...and omega is of course the angular frequency. What you are looking at is the calculation of the Fourier transform of a discrete time signal x[n], n in the set of integers.

Anyway, you must be wondering, if that's a complex exponential, then how could the series possibly converge? Well it's a moot point, because I made a mistake. Originally I had:

[tex] X(e^{j \omega}) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}x[n]e^{-j \omega n} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{-n}e^{-j \omega n} [/tex]

Which I should have expressed like so:

[tex] \sum_{n=-\infty}^{-1}\left[\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{-1}e^{-j \omega }\right]^n [/tex]

which is decidedly different from what I started out with in my first post. It becomes (setting m = -n):

[tex] \sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{2}e^{j \omega }\right)^m = \frac{\frac{1}{2}e^{j \omega }}{1 - \frac{1}{2}e^{j \omega }}[/tex]

Correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?