1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Sum

1. Oct 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is the proposition

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}[/itex]|x[itex]_{n}[/itex]|=0 ⇔[itex]\forall[/itex]n[itex]\in[/itex]IN x[itex]_{n}[/itex]=0

true? If it is true how can we prove that ?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I proved the [itex]\Leftarrow[/itex] side of proposition but i could not prove the [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] side of proposition.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2
    Is it not true that [itex] \sum_n |x_n| > x_m [/itex] for all m?

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is this what you're trying to prove?
    $$ \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}|x_{n}|= 0 \iff \forall n \in Z,~ x_{n} = 0$$

I wasn't sure what you meant by IN. Also, one symbol you used (⇔) renders as a box in my browser.
    Edit: Now it's showing up. That's odd, it didn't before.

Tip: Use one pair of tex or itex tags for the whole expression, rather than a whole bunch of them.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  5. Oct 5, 2012 #4
    Mark44

The proposition which i want to prove is exactly the proposition which you write. I meant natural numbers by IN. Thanks for your suggestions.

I am waiting for your answers.

6. Oct 5, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try a proof by contradiction. Assume one of the a's isn't zero.

7. Oct 11, 2012 #6
    [itex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}|x_{n}|=0\Rightarrow\lim \limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n}|x_{k}|=0[/itex]. Since [itex]s_{n}= \sum\limits_{k=1}^{n}|x_{k}| [/itex] is an increasing sequence it can converge only its supremum. So [itex] \sup\limits_{n}s_{n}=0 [/itex]. Thus [itex] \forall n,\, 0\leq s_{n} = \sum\limits_{k=1}^{n}|x_{k}|\leq 0 [/itex] which means [itex] \forall n,\, x_{n}=0 [/itex].

I made this proof. What do you think is there any mistake in this proof ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook