Investigating Infinite Summation: Calculating Sn 0-10

In summary, the conversation discusses investigating the sum of infinite sequences with the given conditions and the task of calculating the sum of the first n terms of the sequence. The sequences provided do not have a clear arithmetic or geometric relationship, and it is suggested to use a calculator to calculate the values. The conversation also mentions a potential discussion in the Calculus section of the forum for further clarification.
Peter G.
I am investigating the sum of infinite sequences.

such that: t0 = 1 and tn = (x ln (a))n/n!

They tell me to first consider the following sequences of terms:

1, (ln 2)/1, (ln 2)2/2x1, (ln 2)3/3x2x1

They then ask me to calculate the sum Sn of the first n terms of the sequence for when 0 is bigger or equal to 0 and smaller or equal to 10.

I couldn't however, find any relationship between the terms that indicates whether the sequence is arithmetic or geometric.

So are they asking me to simply grab the calculator, calculate the values and write them down?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
I am investigating the sum of infinite sequences.

such that: t0 = 1 and tn = (x ln (a))n/n!

They tell me to first consider the following sequences of terms:

1, (ln 2)/1, (ln 2)2/2x1, (ln 2)3/3x2x1
Please, please, please don't us "x" both as a variable and as a multiplication symbol!
I think you mean 1, (ln 2)/1, (ln 2)2/(2)(1)m, ln(2)3/3(2)(1), etc.

They then ask me to calculate the sum Sn of the first n terms of the sequence for when 0 is bigger or equal to 0 and smaller or equal to 10.
"0 is bigger or equal to 0" surely that's not what you meant!

I couldn't however, find any relationship between the terms that indicates whether the sequence is arithmetic or geometric.
There is a reason for that! The quotient ((ln 2)/1)/1= ln(2) while ((ln(2))2/2)/(ln(2)/1)= ln(2)/2. Since those are not equal, this is NOT a geometric sequence. The difference ln(2)/1- 1 is not equal to ((ln(2))2/6)/((ln(2))/1) so this is NOT a an arithmetic sequence.

So are they asking me to simply grab the calculator, calculate the values and write them down?
Yes, although I have still not figured out what you really meant by "calculate the sum Sn of the first n terms of the sequence for when 0 is bigger or equal to 0 and smaller or equal to 10". Is it possible that you are to calculate this for n between 0 and 10?

Thanks,
Peter G.

I am very sorry. Reading over what I wrote is actually quite embarrassing. I actually moved this post to the Calculus region because I saw a post with the exact same problem as mine there.

I made some progress with the people in that section, but, in case I have future doubts and you want to contribute, you can find the topic at:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3276495&posted=1#post3276495

Sorry once again,
Peter G.

1. What is an infinite summation?

An infinite summation is a mathematical concept where an infinite number of terms are added together. It is written in the form of ∑n=0∞an, where "∑" represents the summation symbol, "n" is the index or variable, "0" is the starting value of the index, "∞" represents infinity, and "an" is the general term of the sequence.

2. How do you calculate Sn 0-10?

To calculate Sn 0-10, we use the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where "n" is the number of terms in the summation (in this case, 10), "a1" is the first term in the sequence (0), and "an" is the last term in the sequence (also 0). Plugging these values into the formula, we get Sn = (10/2)(0 + 0) = 0.

3. What is the purpose of investigating infinite summation?

The purpose of investigating infinite summation is to understand the behavior and properties of infinite series. It allows us to find patterns and make predictions about the sum of an infinite number of terms. This concept is crucial in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and physics.

4. Can an infinite summation have a finite sum?

Yes, an infinite summation can have a finite sum if the terms in the sequence approach zero as the index increases. This is known as a convergent series. An example of this is the geometric series 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... which has a finite sum of 1.

5. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

A convergent series has a finite sum, while a divergent series has an infinite sum. In other words, a convergent series "converges" to a specific value, while a divergent series does not. This can be determined by looking at the behavior of the terms in the sequence as the index increases.