1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinitely annoying square well

1. Apr 30, 2004 #1
    Edit: I corrected an error in the "normalizing" (forgot to square the functions). But since I wasn't really using it anyway it doesn't seem to matter.

This square well has an infinite wall at x=0 and a wall of height U at x=L. For the case E < U, obtain solutions to the Schrodinger equation, satisfy the appropriate boundary conditions ...etc,etc... enforce the proper matching conditions at x=L to find an equation of the allowed energies of this system.

Starting with the general solution for region I inside the box (0<x≤L)
    [tex]\psi_I(x) = A\sin{kx} + B\cos{kx}[/tex]
    where [tex] k^2 = \frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}[/tex]
    and we know that the infinite wall forces B=0

and for region II (x>L)
    [tex]\psi_{II}(x) = De^{\alpha{x}} +Ce^{-\alpha{x}} [/tex]
    where[tex]\alpha^2 = \frac{2m(U-E)}{\hbar^2}[/tex]
    and since [tex]\int_L^\infty |\psi(x)|^2 dx[/tex] must be finite, this D=0

So I'm left with
    [tex]\psi_I(x) = A\sin{kx}[/tex]
    [tex]\psi_{II}(x) = Ce^{-\alpha{x}} [/tex]

The matching conditions give me:
    [tex]\psi_I(0) = 0[/tex] (I already used this to make B=0)
    [tex]\psi_I(L) = \psi_{II}(L) [/tex] therefore [tex] A\sin{kL} = Ce^{-\alpha{L}}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d\psi_I}{dx}(x=L) = \frac{d\psi_{II}}{dx}(x=L)[/tex] therefore [tex]kA\cos{kL} = -\alpha{C}e^{-\alpha{L}}[/tex]

To normalize I did this:
    [tex]\int_0^\infty |\psi(x)|^2 dx = \int_0^L |\psi_I(x)|^2 dx + \int_L^\infty |\psi_{II}(x)|^2 dx = 1[/tex]
    [tex]\int_0^L A^2\sin^2{kx}\; dx + \int_L^\infty C^2e^{-2\alpha{x}} dx = 1[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{A^2}{2}\int_0^L (1-\cos{2kx}\; dx + C^2\int_L^\infty e^{-2\alpha{x}} dx = 1[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{A^2}{2}\left(L - \frac{\sin{2kL}}{2k}\right) + \frac{C^2}{2\alpha}e^{-2\alpha{L}} = 1 [/tex]
    although I'm not sure that added any information. I don't see how, or why, I would use that ugly expression.

So to summarize, I have:
    1)[tex] A\sin{kL} = Ce^{-\alpha{L}}[/tex]

2)[tex]kA\cos{kL} = -\alpha{C}e^{-\alpha{L}}[/tex]

3)[tex]\frac{A^2}{2}\left(L - \frac{\sin{2kL}}{2k}\right) + \frac{C^2}{2\alpha}e^{-2\alpha{L}} = 1 [/tex]

4)[tex] k^2 = \frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}[/tex]

5)[tex]\alpha^2 = \frac{2m(U-E)}{\hbar^2}[/tex]

It's very easy to divide (1) by (2) to get
    [tex]\tan{kL} = -\frac{k}{\alpha}[/tex]
    and then using the equations for k and α this becomes

[tex]\tan{kL} = - \sqrt{\frac{E}{U-E}}[/tex]
    but I don't know what, if anything, this tells me.

The solution in the book is that allowed energies satisfy:
    [tex]\frac{kL}{\sin{kL}} = \left[\frac{2mUL^2}{\hbar^2}\right]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex],

which has solutions only if [tex]\frac{2mUL^2}{\hbar^2} > 1[/tex].

I see why that statement is true, and apparently more useful than my answer. But I don't see how he got that expression in terms of sin kL, and more importantly, I don't see how I would even know to try and find a solution in that form if I didn't already have the published answer.

Any ideas? Do you see any mistakes in what I did? Many thanks.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2004 #2
    Well, I just realized that I can get to

(1): [tex]\frac{kL}{\sin{kL}} = \left[\frac{2mUL^2}{\hbar^2}\right]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Simply using a right triangle, [tex]\tan{kL} = -\frac{k}{\alpha}[/tex] gives [tex]\sin{kL} = -\frac{k}{\sqrt(\alpha^2 + k^2)}[/tex] which can be rearranged using the expressions for k2 and α2 to give the expression (1) shown in the text.

But I still don't see the usefulness of this result.

It shows that solutions (allowed energies) only exist where
    [tex]\frac{2mUL^2}{\hbar^2} > 1[/tex]
    but it does nothing to show what those solutions are, does it?

On the other hand, I think one could take the "easy" solution of
    and graph curves of tan(kL) vs kL and
    -k/α vs kL on the same set of axes
    and find solutions for the actual allowed energies where those curves intersect.

What do you think?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?