Exploring Infinitesimal Rotations in Classical Mechanics

In summary, the author is trying to say that under an infinitesimal rotation, the limit is given by equation A-102 .
Kashmir
1636813415640.png

Can anybody please help me to understand that why under infinitesimal rotation ##x1## transforms in the way as shown in equation 4-100?

This is from Goldstein's Classical Mechanics page chapter 5 and page 168 on the Kinematics of Rigid body motion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kashmir said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/292210

Can anybody please help me to understand that why under infinitesimal rotation ##x'_1## transforms in the way as shown ?

This is from Goldstein's Classical Mechanics page chapter 5 and page 168 on the Kinematics of Rigid body motion.
That link doesn't work.

Likes Kashmir
PeroK said:
That link doesn't work.
Thank you. Edited.

The way I would do it is to write out the rotation matrix for a rotation of ##\theta## about the ##x_1## axis. And apply this matrix to an arbitrary vector ##(x_1, x_2,x_3)##.

When ##\theta## is small, we have ##\cos \theta \approx 1##, ##\sin \theta \approx \theta##. If you apply those approximations you should get the limit for an infinitesimal rotation.

I think Goldstein is just using generic matric entries, rather than ##\cos \theta## and ##\sin \theta## explicity.

Likes Kashmir
Wouldn't it be more general to apply these trigonometric limits for small angles directly into the rotation matrix here ##A=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}\cos \psi \cos \phi-\cos \theta \sin \phi \sin \psi & \cos \psi \sin \phi+\cos \theta \cos \phi \sin \psi & \sin \psi \sin \theta \\ -\sin \psi \cos \phi-\cos \theta \sin \phi \cos \psi & -\sin \psi \sin \phi+\cos \theta \cos \phi \cos \psi & \cos \psi \cdot \sin \theta \\ \sin \theta \sin \phi & -\sin \theta \cos \phi & \cos \theta\end{array}\right]## reducing to ##A=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}1-\phi \psi & \phi+\psi & \psi \theta \\ -\psi-\phi & -\psi \phi+1 & \theta \\\theta \phi & -\theta & 1\end{array}\right]## hence the required equation A-400 ?

Kashmir said:
Yes I got the idea. Thank you. Wouldn't it be more general to apply these trigonometric limits for small angles directly into the rotation matrix here ##A=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}\cos \psi \cos \phi-\cos \theta \sin \phi \sin \psi & \cos \psi \sin \phi+\cos \theta \cos \phi \sin \psi & \sin \psi \sin \theta \\ -\sin \psi \cos \phi-\cos \theta \sin \phi \cos \psi & -\sin \psi \sin \phi+\cos \theta \cos \phi \cos \psi & \cos \psi \cdot \sin \theta \\ \sin \theta \sin \phi & -\sin \theta \cos \phi & \cos \theta\end{array}\right]## reducing to ##A=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}1-\phi \psi & \phi+\psi & \phi \theta \\ 4 \beta-\phi & -\psi \phi+1 & \theta \\ -\psi & -\theta & 1\end{array}\right## hence the required equation A-400 ?
We simply want to analyse infinitesimal rotations about the three coordinate axes. Those have a well-known simple form.

PeroK said:
We simply want to analyse infinitesimal rotations about the three coordinate axes. Those have a well-known simple form.
I agree. We can also think like this:
Given a general rotation matrix A defined with the three Euler angles phi, theta and psi we can find the limit by letting all three go to zero and find that the infinitesimal rotation is
##A=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}1-\phi \psi & \phi+\psi & \psi \theta \\ -\psi-\phi & -\psi \phi+1 & \theta \\\theta \phi & -\theta & 1\end{array}\right] =I+e## exactly as the author writes at equation A-102 .

Kashmir said:
I agree. We can also think like this:
Given a general rotation matrix A defined with the three Euler angles phi, theta and psi we can find the limit by letting all three go to zero and find that the infinitesimal rotation is
##A=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}1-\phi \psi & \phi+\psi & \psi \theta \\ -\psi-\phi & -\psi \phi+1 & \theta \\\theta \phi & -\theta & 1\end{array}\right] =I+e## exactly as the author writes at equation A-102 .
Possibly. I don't have Goldstein, so I don't know where he's going with this. I might have misunderstood what he's trying to do.

Likes Kashmir
PeroK said:
Possibly. I don't have Goldstein, so I don't know where he's going with this. I might have misunderstood what he's trying to do.
Thank you for your help.

1. What is the concept of infinitesimal rotations in classical mechanics?

Infinitesimal rotations refer to very small rotations that occur in a system. In classical mechanics, these rotations are described using mathematical concepts such as angular velocity and angular acceleration. They are important in understanding the motion of rigid bodies and the conservation of angular momentum.

2. How are infinitesimal rotations different from finite rotations?

Infinitesimal rotations are very small rotations that occur in a short period of time, while finite rotations are larger rotations that occur over a longer period of time. Infinitesimal rotations are often used in mathematical models to simplify calculations and make them more manageable.

3. What is the significance of infinitesimal rotations in classical mechanics?

Infinitesimal rotations play a crucial role in classical mechanics as they help describe the motion of rigid bodies and the conservation of angular momentum. They also allow for the calculation of important quantities such as torque and moment of inertia.

4. How are infinitesimal rotations calculated and represented?

Infinitesimal rotations are typically represented using mathematical equations and matrices. The rotation of a rigid body can be calculated using the angular velocity vector and the time interval during which the rotation occurs. The direction of the rotation is determined by the right-hand rule.

5. What are some real-world applications of infinitesimal rotations in classical mechanics?

Infinitesimal rotations have numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and robotics. They are used to model the motion of objects in space, analyze the stability of structures, and design mechanisms for machines. They are also essential in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and the dynamics of rotating systems.