Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinitie Series: Converge/Diverge question

1. Mar 28, 2005 #1
    this question doesn't look hard when i read it, but then when i tried doing it, i can't :frown:

Suppose [tex]\sum[/tex]Ak and [tex]\sum[/tex]Bk are both convergent series with positive terms. Does it follow that [tex]\sum[/tex]AkBk converges? Show your answer is correct with an appropriate proof/ counter example.

Thanks for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it converges. Here's the hint:

since sum A_n converges, A_n tends to zero, hence for all k greater than some N, 0<=A_n< 1

now apply some comparison test to reach the conlcusion.

to make it more interesting how about:

Secondly, use the Cauchy schwartz inequality to prove the result (hint, you'll need to show sum (A_n)^2 exists.

Thirdly, show that if we drop the positivity conditions on the A_n and B_m then the result is false (hint alternating series test - if C_m is a sequence of positive terms tending to zero then sum (-1)^mC_m converges)

4. Mar 28, 2005 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the tails of both the A series and the B series must ->0, the tail of the product series goes to 0 faster. To put it rigorously, there exists a K such that for all k>K, AkBk<Ak, therefore the series of products must converge.

5. Mar 28, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're not using the positivity condition, which is required. Though that is a small point.

6. Mar 29, 2005 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(matt grime) I presume you remark was addressed to me. I didn't use the words. However, I know the positive condition was necessary, and I didn't bother using | | for the terms involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?