Infinitie tidal forces at event horizon?

In summary, according to Kip Thorne, the tidal force in the Schwarzschild basis metric works out to be 2m/r^3, and the event horizon is at r=2m, so the tidal force is 1/(4m^2). The tidal gradient in (meters/sec^2)/meter = 1/sec^2. If m = 1 solar mass, I get 1e10 sec^-2, which is a billion gravities per meter. If m = 1,000,000 solar mass, one has a comfortable .001 gravities/meter.
Ray Eston Smith Jr
Many websites claim that someone falling into a black hole would be ripped apart by tidal forces as he crosses the event horizon. Others say that the falling observer feels nothing special as he crosses the event horizon - he doesn't get torn apart by tidal forces until he gets close to the singularity (assuming the black hole is big enough so that the tidal forces don't tear him apart way before he reaches the event horizon).

Which viewpoint is correct? Or does it depend on the frame of reference of the observer?

Physics news on Phys.org
It dpeends on the size of the black hole, for a large black hole the tidal forces will be unoticeable, for a very small black hole they beocme much more important. It alos dpeneds on the size of the frame of refernce, as obviously the larger the object, being drawn in the larger the tidal forces.

The tidal forces would not be infinite, except at the singularity I imagine.

Ray Eston Smith Jr said:
Many websites claim that someone falling into a black hole would be ripped apart by tidal forces as he crosses the event horizon. Others say that the falling observer feels nothing special as he crosses the event horizon - he doesn't get torn apart by tidal forces until he gets close to the singularity (assuming the black hole is big enough so that the tidal forces don't tear him apart way before he reaches the event horizon).

Which viewpoint is correct? Or does it depend on the frame of reference of the observer?

It depends mainly on the size of the black hole. I'd recommend Kip Thorne's book "Black Holes & Time Warps" for a good popular treatment of the topic.

For the detailed calculation

Warning: geometric units

The tidal force in the Schwarzschild basis metric works out to be 2m/r^3, and the event horizon is at r=2m, so the tidal force is 1/(4m^2).

Converting this to standard units, the tidal gradient in (meters/sec^2)/meter = 1/sec^2 will be

[tex]
\frac {c^6} {(2 G m)^2}
[/tex]

where c is the speed of light, and G is the Gravitatioanl constant

if m = 1 solar mass, I get 1e10 sec^-2, which is a billion gravities per meter.

If m = 1,000,000 solar mass, one has a comfortable .001 gravities/meter

where 1 gravity = 9.8 m/s^2 (approx 10 m/s^2).

This is a static calculation, but velocity towards the bh won't affect the tidal force.

I could use a double-check of the figures, but I think the answer is right...

Pervect is correct. I spent all night on that and you were really starting to make me mad.

1. What is an event horizon?

The event horizon is the boundary surrounding a black hole, beyond which nothing, including light, can escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

2. How do infinite tidal forces occur at the event horizon?

At the event horizon, the gravitational pull of a black hole becomes infinitely strong, causing tidal forces to become infinitely strong as well. This is due to the extreme curvature of spacetime near the black hole.

3. What is the significance of infinite tidal forces at the event horizon?

Infinite tidal forces at the event horizon are significant because they mark the point of no return for objects falling into a black hole. Once an object crosses the event horizon, it is pulled into the black hole and cannot escape.

4. Can anything survive infinite tidal forces at the event horizon?

No, nothing can survive infinite tidal forces at the event horizon. The forces are so strong that they would tear any object apart, including atoms and subatomic particles.

5. How do infinite tidal forces at the event horizon affect time and space?

Infinite tidal forces at the event horizon cause severe time dilation, meaning that time appears to slow down for an outside observer. Additionally, the extreme curvature of spacetime near the event horizon can cause distortions and warping of space itself.