Is 1 Equal to Infinity? A Discussion

In summary, the discussion is about the concept of infinity being equal to 1. One person believes it is not true and that there is no reason to discuss it, while the other believes it is an interesting concept and invites others to share their thoughts. The conversation then turns to the idea of infinite divisibility and how it relates to the concept of infinity being equal to 1. Some argue that standard analysis does not involve infinitesimals, while others point out that infinitesimally small does not necessarily mean infinitesimal numbers. The discussion ends with the agreement that precise terminology may not be necessary.
mintparasol
or 1 = infinity

Discuss

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mintparasol said:
or 1 = infinity

Discuss

Why should we discuss it?

arildno said:
Why should we discuss it?

You don't have to if you don't want to. I'm not your papa. It's an interesting concept to me. Maybe others would like to share their thoughts?

Maybe you would like to share your thoughts? Why do you think it's interesting? Why do you think it's reasonable?

At the moment, all I can say is it's obviously not true. 2>1 and 2 is clearly not larger than infinity. I don't understand why you would possibly think this is worthy of discussion

mintparasol said:
Maybe others would like to share their thoughts?

Well, my first thought was "no".

You will need to back up your claims by explaining what you mean by them. On it's own it's pure nonsense. And clearly wrong by any reasonable interpretation.

Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew here :)

1 is infinitely divisible. It seems to me that in order to work with infinity in math, you should just call it 1.

What is 1 divisible by exactly?

Infinity = 1, but what does god need of a spaceship?

mintparasol said:
Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew here :)

1 is infinitely divisible. It seems to me that in order to work with infinity in math, you should just call it 1.

Why does infinite divisibility make 1 equal to infinity?

Any real number can be divided up into infinitesimally small pieces, but that doesn't mean that the number is infinitely large.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Any real number can be divided up into infinitessimally small pieces

Why would you say that? There are no infinitesimal real numbers.

An interval, say [0, 1], of length 1, can be divided into infinitesimally small pieces for calculating the integral of a function that is defined and continuous on that integral. In that sense, a number can be divided into the sum of infinitesimally small numbers.

Jarle said:
Why would you say that? There are no infinitesimal real numbers.

He didn't say into infinitesimal real numbers.

Mentallic said:
He didn't say into infinitesimal real numbers.

He said real numbers can be divided up in infinitesimally small pieces, implying infinitesimal real numbers.

Mark44 said:
An interval, say [0, 1], of length 1, can be divided into infinitesimally small pieces for calculating the integral of a function that is defined and continuous on that integral. In that sense, a number can be divided into the sum of infinitesimally small numbers.

No, that is not how the integral is commonly defined. There are no infinitesimals involved in standard analysis. It is usually defined in the form of a limit (the supremum of the lower limit of the approximations by trapezoids).

Standard analysis does not treat infinitesimals at all. Any mention of them should explicitly refer to the extension of the real number field by infinitesimals and infinite numbers as defined in non-standard analysis (which gives an alternative definition of the integral).

Last edited:
infinitesimally small is not the same as an infinitesimal number. It just means arbitrarily small. Similar to how "I can pick natural numbers infinitely large" doesn't mean that there is a natural number that is of value infinity, just that arbitrarily large ones exist

Jarle said:
He said real numbers can be divided up in infinitesimally small pieces, implying infinitesimal real numbers.

Aren't you satisfied with the idea of limiting the size of each piece to infinitesimally small?

All right, if infinitesimally small commonly refers to arbitrarily small, then I'll agree. I wasn't aware of that. However, wikipedia redirect "infinitesimally small" to "infinitesimal". As you can see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinitesimally_small

so I'm not quite sure how to interpret infinitesimally small.

Mentallic said:
Aren't you satisfied with the idea of limiting the size of each piece to infinitesimally small?

The limiting size of the partitioning pieces is 0 (well, given that the integrand is not linear at any interval), so no - I'm not satisfied with that at all.

Jarle said:
The limiting size of the partitioning pieces is 0 (well, given that the integrand is not linear at any interval), so no - I'm not satisfied with that at all.

I don't believe it is 0, but tends to it. That's the point of limits. Of course while the limiting size tends to zero for each piece, the number of pieces tend to infinite and we've still divided the finite interval into that many pieces. Which is what Mark was getting at in the first place.

There's no need for being picky about terminology or even involve higher mathematical ideas into the mix, because after all, we're simply trying to disprove [tex]\infty=1[/tex]

Mentallic said:
I don't believe it is 0, but tends to it. That's the point of limits. Of course while the limiting size tends to zero for each piece, the number of pieces tend to infinite and we've still divided the finite interval into that many pieces. Which is what Mark was getting at in the first place.

That a varying size tends to zero means that the limiting size is zero.

I just pointed out that one should not confuse this with infinitesimals. If that wasn't the intention, then I'm guessing we are done here. I'll agree with that we could be cutting some slacks about precise terminology.

This is silly.

1. What is the concept of "1 = Infinity"?

The concept of "1 = Infinity" is a mathematical statement that suggests that the number 1 is equal to infinity, an infinite quantity or magnitude that has no end.

2. Is "1 = Infinity" a valid mathematical equation?

No, "1 = Infinity" is not a valid mathematical equation because infinity is not a number and cannot be treated as such in mathematical operations.

3. Can "1 = Infinity" be proven or disproven?

No, the statement "1 = Infinity" cannot be proven or disproven because it is a matter of philosophical and mathematical debate rather than a fact that can be proved or disproved.

4. What is the significance of "1 = Infinity" in mathematics?

The concept of "1 = Infinity" has significant implications in the field of mathematics, particularly in calculus, where the concept of infinity is used to represent limits and infinite series.

5. How does the concept of "1 = Infinity" relate to real-world situations?

The concept of "1 = Infinity" does not have a direct application in real-world situations as infinity is a theoretical concept. However, it can be used to understand and analyze certain phenomena, such as the behavior of functions or the concept of infinity in physics and cosmology.