1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinity by Particles

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    I just started to study and happen to stumble to more questions then answers.

I thought that photons would travel with the speed of light, and the problem is that in calculus we learned that 0 and ∞ are not achievable numbers.
    And for a particle to achieve the speed of light, would it not have to achieve a 0 or ∞ mass and would that not break our universe or something like that.. :) or is it ok at all, particles achieving such values(limits).

are they really with c speed?? maybe they do have a mass and a speed of something like 99% of c, which is as we know far from possible to achieve(but it is real).. doesn't that make more sense??

sry for my bad english i hope you are still able to understand what i mean :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2
    Photons have zero mass, and because of that they must always be in motion.

Zero is a very achievable number!
    Like x + 5 = 5, what is x?
    You can't DIVIDE by zero however.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook