1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinity norm of system matrix

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This problem is related to the system theory, using the H-infinity frame work to determine the maximum gain of a multivarible system. The system is described as

[tex] G(s) = \begin{pmatrix} \frac{s}{s+1} & \frac{s}{s^2+s+1} \\ \frac{s-1}{s+2} & \frac{s-1}{s+1} \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

with s a complex variable, known as the laplace operator. I want to compute the H-infinity norm of G(s), and if I'm not mistaking I can do this with

[tex] \| G(s) \|_{\infty} := \sup_{\omega \in \mathbb{R}} \| G(i \omega) \| [/tex]

In words: I'm looking a real valued frequency such that the two-norm of G(iw) achieves its maximum value. So that can be done with

[tex] \| G(i\omega) \| = \sqrt{ \left| \frac{i\omega}{i\omega+1} \right|^2 + \left| \frac{i\omega}{(i\omega)^2+i\omega+1} \right|^2 + \left| \frac{i\omega-1}{i\omega+2} \right|^2 + \left| \frac{i\omega-1}{i\omega+1} \right|^2} [/tex]

Actually, my question if is this is ok? Because I tried to compute this with matlab and that did not give the correct result (see below).

2. Solutions according to matlab

First I tried to compute the infinity norm of G(s):

s=tf('s');
    g11=s/(s+1);
    g12=s/(s^2+s+1);
    g21=(s-1)/(s+2);
    g22=(s-1)/(s+1);
    G=[g11,g12;g21,g22];
    tol=1e-6;
    [ninf,fpeak]=norm(G,inf,tol)

The result is: ninf=1.6973 (abs), fpeak=1.0651 rad/s.

Then I wanted to compare this result to the result I get with the formule I gave above. We now know that the frequency that gives the infinity norm is equal to fpeak, thus filling this in gives;

w=1.0651;
    g11=(i*w)/((i*w)+1);
    g12=(i*w)/((i*w)^2+(i*w)+1);
    g21=((i*w)-1)/((i*w)+2);
    g22=((i*w)-1)/((i*w)+1);
    h_inf_norm=sqrt( abs(g11)^2+abs(g12)^2+abs(g21)^2+abs(g22)^2 )

However, what I get is: h_inf_norm=1.1222, and not ninf=1.6973... Why is that?
    All hints/tips are welcome :-) Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?