What are the Constants c and C for Infinity and One Norms Inequality?

• Thread starter twoski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the question is asking to determine constants c and C for a vector x and k and K for a matrix A, such that the inequality c ||x||_{∞} ≤ ||x||_{1} ≤ C||x||_{∞} and k ||A||_{∞} ≤ ||A||_{1} ≤ K||A||_{∞} hold true. The infinity norm is defined as the largest component of a vector, and in order to find the constants, we can replace each summand in the one-norm with the infinity norm. This leads to the solution of c=0, C=1 for the vector x and k=0, K=1 for the matrix A.
twoski

Homework Statement

Determine constants c and C that do not depend on vector x but may depend on the dimension n of x, such that

[itex]c ||x||_{∞} ≤ ||x||_{1} ≤ C||x||_{∞}[/itex]

Use this result and the definition of matrix norms to find k and K that don't depend on the entries of matrix A (but depend on dimension n of A) such that

[itex]k ||A||_{∞} ≤ ||A||_{1} ≤ K||A||_{∞}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I'm still trying to wrap my head around what an infinity norm actually is. According to my lecture notes,

[itex] ||x||_{∞} \equiv 1 ≤ k ≤ n, max|x_{k}|[/itex]

Does this mean the infinity norm is just the largest absolute value in x? There is no summation sign so my best guess is that "max" refers to the highest possible value contained in x.

So in other words i need to figure out constants which satisfy the inequality. My first guess would be to take c=0 and C=1, assuming that infinity norms are always greater than one-norms.

Physics news on Phys.org
twoski said:

Homework Statement

Determine constants c and C that do not depend on vector x but may depend on the dimension n of x, such that

Use this result and the definition of matrix norms to find k and K that don't depend on the entries of matrix A (but depend on dimension n of A) such that

Firstly I'm still trying to wrap my head around what an infinity norm actually is. According to my lecture notes,

Does this mean the infinity norm is just the largest absolute value in x?
Sort of. It's the largest component xkof a vector x.
twoski said:
There is no summation sign so my best guess is that "max" refers to the highest possible value contained in x.

So in other words i need to figure out constants which satisfy the inequality. My first guess would be to take c=0 and C=1, assuming that infinity norms are always greater than one-norms.

twoski said:

Homework Statement

Does this mean the infinity norm is just the largest absolute value in x? There is no summation sign so my best guess is that "max" refers to the highest possible value contained in x.

If [itex]x = (1,1)[/itex], what are [itex]\|x\|_1[/itex] and [itex]\|x\|_{\infty}[/itex]?

Taking [itex]c = 0[/itex] doesn't tell you anything; norms are non-negative by definition.

Hint for [itex]C[/itex]: given that [itex]\|x\|_1 = \sum_{i=1}^n {|x_i|}[/itex], what happens if you replace each summand with [itex]\|x\|_\infty = \max\{|x_j| : j = 1, \dots, n\}[/itex]?

pasmith said:
If [itex]x = (1,1)[/itex], what are [itex]\|x\|_1[/itex] and [itex]\|x\|_{\infty}[/itex]?

Taking [itex]c = 0[/itex] doesn't tell you anything; norms are non-negative by definition.

Hint for [itex]C[/itex]: given that [itex]\|x\|_1 = \sum_{i=1}^n {|x_i|}[/itex], what happens if you replace each summand with [itex]\|x\|_\infty = \max\{|x_j| : j = 1, \dots, n\}[/itex]?

[itex]\|x\|_1[/itex] would be 2 since you're just summing the absolute values contained in x (right?) and [itex]\|x\|_{\infty}[/itex] would be 1, i think.

I'm not sure i follow your second bit about C. If i were to replace every instance of |X|i with |X|∞ then, say for example, if i had x={1,2,3) I would be doing 3+3+3 instead of 1+2+3.

twoski said:
[itex]\|x\|_1[/itex] would be 2 since you're just summing the absolute values contained in x (right?) and [itex]\|x\|_{\infty}[/itex] would be 1, i think.

I'm not sure i follow your second bit about C. If i were to replace every instance of |X|i with |X|∞ then, say for example, if i had x={1,2,3) I would be doing 3+3+3 instead of 1+2+3.

And is [itex]3 + 3 + 3 = 3\|(1,2,3)\|_{\infty}[/itex] greater than or less than [itex]1 + 2 + 3 = \|(1,2,3)\|_1[/itex]?

The left hand side evaluates to 9 and the right hand side evaluates to 6. I find the question confusing because you could hypothetically find any 2 values of C and c which satisfy the question if you know what x contains. If x=(1,2,3) then you just need to pick C = 3, c = 1.

I assumed picking c=0 would make sense because the left hand side would always be zero if you're multiplying the infinity norm by zero. That would satisfy the left hand side, and the right hand side would just require a sufficiently large value for C to be greater than the one norm.

Suppose that my vector x = (M,x2,...,xn) where M is larger than all the other entries (so is the infinity norm of x). Then:
[tex] ||x||_1 = |M| + |x_2| + ... + |x_n| \leq ? [/tex]

The ? should be writeable in terms of only M and the dimension of the space. Think about doing the same kind of procedure to this sum as you did with that (1,2,3) vector.

That is the harder direction. The easier one (I think) is to figure out
[tex] ? \leq |M| + |x_2| + ... + |x_n|[/tex]
where again ? is something that depends only on M and the dimension of the space

Office_Shredder said:
Suppose that my vector x = (M,x2,...,xn) where M is larger than all the other entries (so is the infinity norm of x). Then:
[tex] ||x||_1 = |M| + |x_2| + ... + |x_n| \leq ? [/tex]

The ? should be writeable in terms of only M and the dimension of the space. Think about doing the same kind of procedure to this sum as you did with that (1,2,3) vector.

That is the harder direction. The easier one (I think) is to figure out
[tex] ? \leq |M| + |x_2| + ... + |x_n|[/tex]
where again ? is something that depends only on M and the dimension of the space

In terms of n (where n is the size of x), would this be correct for the first part?

[tex] ||x||_1 = |M| + |x_2| + ... + |x_n| \leq n * |M| [/tex]

For the second part, would i simply use

[tex] |M| * n-1 \leq |M| + |x_2| + ... + |x_n|[/tex]

twoski said:
In terms of n (where n is the size of x), would this be correct for the first part?

[tex] ||x||_1 = |M| + |x_2| + ... + |x_n| \leq n * |M| [/tex]

This looks good (and should tell you what C is in the first part)

For the second part, would i simply use

[tex] |M| * n-1 \leq |M| + |x_2| + ... + |x_n|[/tex]

What if M = 1, x2 = x3 = 0 and n=3? You just told me that 3-1 = 2 < 1+0+0

Hmmm, so if C=n then could c just be 1? There isn't much that the infinity norm could be multiplied by that would make it less than the one norm, right?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between infinity norms and one norms?

Infinity norms, also known as maximum norms, measure the absolute value of the largest element in a vector or matrix. One norms, also known as Manhattan norms, measure the sum of the absolute values of each element in a vector or matrix.

2. How are infinity norms and one norms used in mathematics?

Infinity norms and one norms are used to measure the magnitude of vectors and matrices in mathematics. They are particularly useful in optimization problems and in the analysis of algorithms.

3. What is the significance of infinity norms and one norms in computer science?

Infinity norms and one norms are important in computer science as they are used in the analysis of algorithms to determine their time and space complexity. They are also used in machine learning and data science to measure the performance of models.

4. Can infinity norms and one norms be applied to non-numeric data?

Yes, infinity norms and one norms can be applied to non-numeric data such as strings or images. In these cases, the absolute values of the elements are calculated and then the norms are computed as usual.

5. How do infinity norms and one norms relate to other types of norms?

Infinity norms and one norms are two of the many types of norms used in mathematics. They are closely related to other norms such as Euclidean norms and p-norms, but differ in the way they measure the magnitude of a vector or matrix.