Complex Substitution and Infinity in Quantum Mechanics Integrals

In summary, the conversation discussed using substitution to complete an integral in Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. The original integral had limits from negative infinity to positive infinity, and the substitution involved adding a complex constant term to the original variable. The question arose about how to compute the new limits of the integral after substitution, and whether this would result in negative infinity to infinity. The solution suggested that if the function is well-behaved and there are no poles between the original line and the new line, then the integral over both lines will be equal.
prismaticcore

Homework Statement

In Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics problem 2.22 as well as 6.7, I used substitution to complete an integral. The original integral had limits from negative infinity to positive infinity. For my substitution, I had a complex constant term added to the original variable. In computing the new limits of the integral after substitution, I must somehow add a complex number to infinity. Does this imply that the new limits are also negative infinity to infinity? Also, I haven't had analysis nor complex analysis and so I am unsure as to how to appropriately phrase what is going on in computing these new limits.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The new integral is over a line shifted by a complex constant from the original line. IF there are no poles in the function between the original line and new line and IF the functions are 'well behaved' at infinity, i.e. go to zero fast enough, then you can argue using the Cauchy Integral theorem that the integral over both lines are equal. Given this is a quantum mechanics problem and not a complex analysis problem I suspect both IF's are probably true. So, yes, you can do that.

1. What is infinity plus a complex number?

Infinity plus a complex number is an expression that combines the concept of infinity, which represents a number that is infinitely large, and a complex number, which is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is represented by the symbol ∞ + a + bi, where a and b are the real and imaginary parts, respectively.

2. Is infinity plus a complex number equal to infinity?

No, infinity plus a complex number is not equal to infinity. It is a way of representing a number that is infinitely large, but also has a real and imaginary component.

3. Can infinity be added to a complex number?

No, infinity cannot be added to a complex number in the traditional sense. However, the expression infinity plus a complex number is used to represent a number that is infinitely large and also has a real and imaginary part.

4. What is the value of infinity plus a complex number?

The value of infinity plus a complex number is undefined, as it is an expression that represents a number that is infinitely large and also has a real and imaginary part. It cannot be calculated or simplified to a specific value.

5. How is infinity plus a complex number used in mathematics?

Infinity plus a complex number is used in mathematics to represent numbers that are infinitely large and have both a real and imaginary component. It is commonly used in fields such as complex analysis and number theory.